overwhelmed

hoganfireman

Folks,

It is a brisk morning here in Michigan and I am inundating myself with to much info at the moment. I missed Idaho, and I am contemplating to much at once. I'm thinking about applying to MT again with 1 preference point and 1 bonus point. OR do I apply to NM, Colorado, buy points in WY?????????? AAAAhhhhhhh I need some help with some focus or direction. I want to do this on my own because the outfitter I hired last year was well, a great horseback ride through the Scapegoat Wilderness. I did see a mumma Griz and her cub at my tent mates kill site. Which subsequently was the only elk I saw that whole 10 days. Needless to say I am totally gun shy. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I thought Idaho is OTC for ELK? Go ahead and apply in montana worst that can happen is you dont draw... Its OTC in Colorado too. You have plenty of options if you dont draw in montana. Sorry you had a bad experience with an outfitter. Nothing like spending a ton of money on a guide and not see a single elk. At least if you go it alone you can blame your own inexperience on not seeing elk. Going with a guide and not seeing an elk for 10 days? What the heck... If you not seeing elk switch up locations, Seems like the guide would know that.

I thought Idaho is OTC for ELK? Go ahead and apply in montana worst that can happen is you dont draw... Its OTC in Colorado too. You have plenty of options if you dont draw in montana. Sorry you had a bad experience with an outfitter. Nothing like spending a ton of money on a guide and not see a single elk. At least if you go it alone you can blame your own inexperience on not seeing elk. Going with a guide and not seeing an elk for 10 days? What the heck... If you not seeing elk switch up locations, Seems like the guide would know that.
The whole experience was odd to say the least, my tent mate shot an elk opening morning of the backcountry rifle season. 40 min into first light, BOOM. So I got to help quartering and carving out an ivory. Plus seeing the griz, I scratched a few things off the list with my first elk hunt.

The whole experience was odd to say the least, my tent mate shot an elk opening morning of the backcountry rifle season. 40 min into first light, BOOM. So I got to help quartering and carving out an ivory. Plus seeing the griz, I scratched a few things off the list with my first elk hunt.

My first elk hunt resulted in me having a giant bull storm in and bugle in my face, and me $h!ting the bed and forgetting to draw my bow lol. I linked up with another guy who has been hunting in MT his whole life. I learned a ton from him and we are still good friends. I also murdered a tree that same day, very eventful. If I were you I would try and link up with somebody an go at it DIY. Everything I learned got applied to this year and I filled both my deer and elk within two weeks. My hunting partner is brand new to montana hunting and thinks im a pro lol (thats a joke). You can learn alot from people that are local and hunt here. You may never hunt with them again but you gain a lot of experience.

Some years the elk, weather, etc. just don't fall in line. As a local that really knows my hunting areas, occasionally nothing works. Last year (2018) was one of those. Thirty days in the field and we took home a calf.
Starting out, pick a place close to home, either sex if possible, under 8000 ft, medium access, and multiple drainages of public land. Teach yourself how to hunt partly by asking questions and exploring. It's not easy and there isn't a right way nor a wrong way - just some are better than others. It's kindof like sex and bicycles - just do it. That's how we all started. Just be sure to have a good time.

I am partly in the same boat as you, Ive hunted the past 5 years in ID. I got a lot of experience there, and even shot my first bull with my bow! But this year I have a group of guys that want to to MT. So I am starting the cycle all over again trying to find that place where we can see some elk, and maybe even let an arrow or two fly.

Good Luck! channel your inner Nike....Just Do It!

Personally, as someone who has to travel for elk, I would always put in for New Mexico, because you never know. Then I would build points where you can, then plan one OTC hunt every year or 2 if you can afford it.

Personally, as someone who has to travel for elk, I would always put in for New Mexico, because you never know. Then I would build points where you can, then plan one OTC hunt every year or 2 if you can afford it.

This, but I travel from the north, eh!

I'm very fortunate that I can plan two week long trips in the fall (or one two weeks trip) and will watch and shoot as draw results come out. I highly doubt I will draw NM but I have very good chances for WY and/or MT. If nothing works out, I'll stick to deer/antelope in WY and MT and build points in AZ, UT, CO, NV.

Back