Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Over Crowding in Montana Archery Elk

WhitetailHillbilly

Hello Montana Archery Elk Hunters,
I’ve got my first general elk deer combo tag for Montana. I’m planning a September archery hunt. Coming out from TN and this will be my first MT hunt. I’ve seen a lot of comments about over crowding in several areas, specifically the Crazies, Big and Little Belts. They all seem to have a lot of access on public land so it’s believable that it’s crowded. My questions are: will it be that crowded in archery season? Are any of them less crowded? Should I scratch them off my list and keep driving west?
I’ve hunted Colorado the past 3 years and it’s hard to imagine it any worse. I’ll be 63 this season and I can hunt steep and deep but realistically my pack out limits how far I can go. My initial e-scouting it looks like you’d be hard pressed to get more than a couple miles from a road in those areas.
I’d love get some feedback on the subject.

Hello Montana Archery Elk Hunters,
I’ve got my first general elk deer combo tag for Montana. I’m planning a September archery hunt. Coming out from TN and this will be my first MT hunt. I’ve seen a lot of comments about over crowding in several areas, specifically the Crazies, Big and Little Belts. They all seem to have a lot of access on public land so it’s believable that it’s crowded. My questions are: will it be that crowded in archery season? Are any of them less crowded? Should I scratch them off my list and keep driving west?
I’ve hunted Colorado the past 3 years and it’s hard to imagine it any worse. I’ll be 63 this season and I can hunt steep and deep but realistically my pack out limits how far I can go. My initial e-scouting it looks like you’d be hard pressed to get more than a couple miles from a road in those areas.
I’d love get some feedback on the subject.
I can't help you out but just wanted to give you a thumbs up for this "new member post". Other newbies should take note as this is actually how you approach getting information about a hunt you are planning rather that what we usually see here!

Are you asking about these ranges specifically because they dont have (many of) the grizz?

'Crowded' is relative. I have no idea what constitutes as crowded in Colorado, but I would say, in general, that yes they will be crowded during archery. Your mileage my vary.

Are you asking about these ranges specifically because they dont have (many of) the grizz?

'Crowded' is relative. I have no idea what constitutes as crowded in Colorado, but I would say, in general, that yes they will be crowded during archery. Your mileage my vary.
Well that is part of it, that and those areas are a little closer and I’ve heard there are a lot elk there. I must admit I am trying to avoid the areas of high density G. Bears like GYES. Thank you. Yeah I guess it’s hard to answer that.

I can't help you out but just wanted to give you a thumbs up for this "new member post". Other newbies should take note as this is actually how you approach getting information about a hunt you are planning rather that what we usually see here!
Thank You!

The areas you mentioned are relatively close to Billings and Bozeman which generally means they will be crowded if they hold elk. If you can hunt the middle of the week and stay away from major trailheads it shouldn't be too bad.

Thank You
The areas you mentioned are relatively close to Billings and Bozeman which generally means they will be crowded if they hold elk. If you can hunt the middle of the week and stay away from major trailheads it shouldn't be too bad.
Thank You! I will be hunting primarily during the week and middle of the season so maybe avoid the season opener crowd. I really appreciate all the responses I know it’s a loaded question. My research was pointing to those areas plus the scenery looks amazing. I have a few other areas 6 hours West as back ups. I only have a finite time to hunt and if these areas we overrun I’d bypass them. I can imagine rifle is a zoo.

They may be crowded, but elk will still be there. You might try staying hyper mobile, and pick walk in areas every morning and evening based on wind direction + lack of vehicles. It's how I avoid people here in TX on super crowded public land. I keep as many options open as possible, and try to constantly be hunting the unpressured pockets.

There is no such thing as an area that is not crowded anymore. Big a spot, have a plan b and plan c, and go hunt.
You are right about that! Public land is public! Thanks I will have serval areas and units with a written plan. My nephew is coming with me and he is not equipped for backcountry hunting which is fine. We may do some spike camp but will probably stay mobile hunting from a mobile base camp.

They may be crowded, but elk will still be there. You might try staying hyper mobile, and pick walk in areas every morning and evening based on wind direction + lack of vehicles. It's how I avoid people here in TX on super crowded public land. I keep as many options open as possible, and try to constantly be hunting the unpressured pockets.
Thank you good advice and fall right in line with my plan. I hate to get locked into one area so mobility is key to me.

+1

Middle of the week is key, at least in SW Montana. All hunters want to avoid the crowds, so if you get to your trailheads early, your vehicle may deter *some* of the hunters, at least if there are multiple trailhead options close by as alternates for them.

I just want to say as a newbie I really appreciate how helpful and friendly everyone is. I’ve been on another forum which I will not name but it seems to be largely egomaniacs with sarcastic responses. You guys are a pleasure! Thank you! I hunt for the experience (and meat) and this has truly enhanced it!

I'm fairly new to archery hunting in MT but my experience has been that every marked trailhead will have someone hunting it, especially on weekends; but often one drainage over will be empty. Also be willing to hunt all day - people hit it hard in the morning but by noon I often see half the vehicles are gone. Haven't hunted the Little Belts personally, but have friends that do - I think the popularity of the area for out-of-state hunters might render some of my advice null there, as most of them are camping and hunting all day, but I think getting a drainage or two away from a trail still holds. It's also a popular area for recreational camping and SXS's, so that adds some traffic. Good luck this fall!

I'm fairly new to archery hunting in MT but my experience has been that every marked trailhead will have someone hunting it, especially on weekends; but often one drainage over will be empty. Also be willing to hunt all day - people hit it hard in the morning but by noon I often see half the vehicles are gone. Haven't hunted the Little Belts personally, but have friends that do - I think the popularity of the area for out-of-state hunters might render some of my advice null there, as most of them are camping and hunting all day, but I think getting a drainage or two away from a trail still holds. It's also a popular area for recreational camping and SXS's, so that adds some traffic. Good luck this fall!
Thank You! Good luck to you!

I hope you have good hunt. It's a Great time of year to be in the mountains. Over crowding has become a real issue during archery season. Last year I ran into several folks from out of state complaining about the number of bowhunters. Keep your expectations realistic and enjoy your hunt.

I hope you have good hunt. It's a Great time of year to be in the mountains. Over crowding has become a real issue during archery season. Last year I ran into several folks from out of state complaining about the number of bowhunters. Keep your expectations realistic and enjoy your hunt.
Thank you looking for to it!

I'm a virginia boy and have hunted montana the last four years. The area i hunt is probably just as crowded in archery as it is rifle. With that being said my group of four people has never been skunked. If you are willing to hunt hard you can get away from people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back