Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Outdoorsmans Tripod or Something Else?

The one I’m currently looking at is the Colorado tripod company centennial 2 series. It’s a little heavier than the typical hunting tripods you see but it’ll pull double duty for me as a glassing and shooting tripod. Lots of good options out there. I doubt you’ll be disappointed with an outdoorsman

I have kicked this thing around more times than not. Still haven't pulled the trigger but may someday. I got a real hard time spending 800 bucks on a tripod. I have also looked at some others including the promasters, slik, and sirui setups.

I think the best tripod deal on the market right now that I've found is probably the sirui combo available from S and S archery supply. Those guys are awesome!
I think i would have to agree about the Sirui. Was in the same boat looking at all the different options out there. This set up kept coming up. Found a decent deal on a carbon fiber Sirui with the VA5 head. I'm Running a 80 MM Swaro on it,but saw good reviews of guys running the BTX on it as well. It is really smooth while panning. I think for the price you cant beat it!!

I really like outdoorsman heads, I have micro pan head, standard pan head and pistol grip. However while there tripods are high quality products, however I prefer carbon tripods to save weight

Last edited:
The outdoorsmans heads/adapters are awesome. I think the tripods are a little behind. I played that game for a while and landed on a Gitzo GT1545 with the Outdoorsmans Panhead.

The value of the Sirui VA-5 is the only panhead that has made me second guess that.

I have a really good deal I can offer on a Meopta branded Manfrotto Carbon fiber tripod with the fluid head. It is a full size model that will not be for back packing but for the price this thing will be the ticket for roadside spotting. contact me for info

I have used it with a 65mm swaro, silk 624 and 634

im looking for a tripod for my 65mm ATS do you think this micro pan head with the silk 624 is a good combo? the 1K for the outdoorsmans panhead and tripod is such a tough pill to swallow? Gohunt is recommending the Sirui t0s24sk but I can also grab a Leupold carbon for 50% off which is very enticing

im looking for a tripod for my 65mm ATS do you think this micro pan head with the silk 624 is a good combo? the 1K for the outdoorsmans panhead and tripod is such a tough pill to swallow? Gohunt is recommending the Sirui t0s24sk but I can also grab a Leupold carbon for 50% off which is very enticing

I think its a good compromise of your using the micro panhead with Binos also, I like it

Here’s what little advice I can offer
Legs are important- I have used outdoorsmans tall tripod for ever and not once have I ever had an issue or regretted it. I wouldn’t shoot off it with a chassis or heavy rifle only because I think that actually stretches the limits.
Head - outdoorsmans pan head is incredible. I use a ATS 65 and the head after years of use is still super smooth, I can push the spotter with the bridge of my nose as I tear up hillsides.
I had cheaper setups and none of them worked or were as stable.

The outdoorsmans heads/adapters are awesome. I think the tripods are a little behind. I played that game for a while and landed on a Gitzo GT1545 with the Outdoorsmans Panhead.

The value of the Sirui VA-5 is the only panhead that has made me second guess that.
This is my exact debate right now between the Outdoorsman Panhead and Sirui VA-5. I currently only have binoculars but plan to get a spotter one day. I don’t mind paying extra if the gap in value is worth it, but I’m having a hard time overlooking the Sirui VA-5 value. @Schaaf Do you have any additional thoughts on the two options now that more time has passed since your post?

@Mountain Man I think the VA-5 is the more pleasurable glassing experience. The outdoorsmans panhead is perfect for binoculars but it becomes a little glitchy when using a big spotter.

All things considered, I prefer my Outdoorsmans Panhead. The modularity with using a window mount, the compactness for riding on a pack, lightweight, and being bombproof have made me prefer it over everything else.

@Mountain Man I think the VA-5 is the more pleasurable glassing experience. The outdoorsmans panhead is perfect for binoculars but it becomes a little glitchy when using a big spotter.

All things considered, I prefer my Outdoorsmans Panhead. The modularity with using a window mount, the compactness for riding on a pack, lightweight, and being bombproof have made me prefer it over everything else.
@Schaaf, can you please elaborate on the setup for the Outdoorsmans window mount? I see it listed as a separate item but am unclear exactly what you attach to it. Are you attaching your pan head to the window mount and then your glass to the pan head? This might be the dumbest question ever, but three separate pieces to glass from a vehicle seems counter intuitive to me. Note that I have zero experience with tripod heads or window mounts so am basically starting from ground zero as I learn about them.

Yep. Most window mounts are one piece being that the panhead and window attachment are together. The outdoorsmans uses the base and you transfer your panhead off your tripod to your window mount when in the vehicle. It's just as, if not more compact than most window mounts you see from Manfrotto, Vanguard, and Cabelas. To make this simple, you get the quick detach attachment and place that on your tripod so you can swap your panhead from your tripod to your window mount in about 5 seconds. You're also keeping all your optics attachments the same since most panheads use a variety of base plates.

Yep. Most window mounts are one piece being that the panhead and window attachment are together. The outdoorsmans uses the base and you transfer your panhead off your tripod to your window mount when in the vehicle. It's just as, if not more compact than most window mounts you see from Manfrotto, Vanguard, and Cabelas. To make this simple, you get the quick detach attachment and place that on your tripod so you can swap your panhead from your tripod to your window mount in about 5 seconds. You're also keeping all your optics attachments the same since most panheads use a variety of base plates.
After two months of handwringing I took the plunge on the Outdoorsmans setup. Thanks for your help @Schaaf. I appreciate your help.

Back