Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Outdoorsmans Tripod or Something Else?

Dsnow9

I am looking at getting a light weight and smoother head tripod setup for next season. Right now I have the vortex pro gt and like it but feel an upgrade would be nice. I have heard great things about the outdoorsmans tripods but curious everyone’s thoughts. Looking for a backcountry hunting tripod that can handle an 85mm spotter.

I use the Outdoorsman’s with an 85mm scope. Love, love, love it, but I’m not sure I could have swallowed the price if it hadn’t been a gift.

Thanks for the insight. What size did you get? And do you have the pan head? I need a new tripod for “work” to inspect the tree canopies for damage and decay. Better than paying the tax man...

I couldn't stomach the price or weight on the outdoorsman's legs so I went with a prostaff xc525 and it's been great. I did spend the money on the outdoorsman's panhead and feel it's worth it for the 88mm. When I'm using the smaller scope I use a Sirui that works great.

I have the Pan head, and the micro pan head. I think the micro panhead is a really Good value.

Thanks for the insight. What size did you get? And do you have the pan head? I need a new tripod for “work” to inspect the tree canopies for damage and decay. Better than paying the tax man...
I have the medium tripod with pan head. I don't think I'd want a smaller head for my scope.

Take a look at Sirui. They make some really nice products. Like anything else it's relative to what you plan on doing with it. There are plenty of good tripods and heads on the market that will do the job. All depends on your price point and features you are looking for.

I've got a medium Outdoorsman tripod, with the pan head and have a Swaro 85mm spotter. The price is tough to swallow, but I've never had the thought "I wish I didn't buy this" when I'm using it. I've had it 3 or 4 years now.

Have you looked at the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods? Manfrottto is a top name in tripods and many professional photographers use them. Carbon fiber seems to settle vibrations a bit better than aluminum.

In most cases the head is going to make a bigger difference in "feel" than the legs, not that quality legs don't matter. I personally use the Manfrotto 700 RC2 head and Gitzo GT0532 legs. With an 80mm spotter the legs are adequate for seated use, though I'd consider bumping up to the series 1 legs at some point. I've used a few other heads but I'm pretty happy with my current setup. Never compared it to Outdoorsmans.

Trying different high-end tripod setups (Really Right Stuff, Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc.) costs nearly as much as trying different alpha glass, but it's no where near as much fun. For that reason I'm pretty happy to read some reviews and just roll with it, compared to glass which I insist on putting through the paces myself.

Have you looked at the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods? Manfrottto is a top name in tripods and many professional photographers use them. Carbon fiber seems to settle vibrations a bit better than aluminum.

I have looked for sure and have been going back and forth on my decision so that’s why I asked. I love the outdoorsmans bino Mount I have which is why I’m leaning that direction to remove the need to put it on an additional plate. But will try to go somewhere and put my hands some of the tripods.

Slik 634 with Sirui VA 5 panhead....freaking money and not super heavy. Been running the setup for a bit over a year now and really happy with it.

I have the medium tripod with pan head. I don't think I'd want a smaller head for my scope.
Well I took the plunge! Very happy I did. Haven’t used it on a hunt yet but since I’m going to draw one of my CO M/G/S tags this year I think it was a worthwhile investment! Haha

Definitely an ouch but have used it for work a few times already and bought it for the business so it stung a little bit less! I figure positive thoughts and between the draw and your raffle my odds are slightly better than last year.

I had the medium Outdoorsmans, a nice product for sure but sold it off and bought a Promaster CF from Cameraland, a little lighter and I came away with cash left over. I do use the outdoorsman panhead.

I have kicked this thing around more times than not. Still haven't pulled the trigger but may someday. I got a real hard time spending 800 bucks on a tripod. I have also looked at some others including the promasters, slik, and sirui setups.

I think the best tripod deal on the market right now that I've found is probably the sirui combo available from S and S archery supply. Those guys are awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back