PEAX Equipment

Out West hunting partner wanted.

I start every morning by ranging my surroundings. I know this bush is 34 yds away because it was 34 yesterday and 34 on Sunday (I hope it hasn't moved!). I try to have my marks ingrained so I don't have to fuss in the moment of truth. Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• 20210908_080844.jpg
    20210908_080844.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 5
Have you ever noticed how squirrels make the noise equivalent to a 600lb elk but elk make the noise of a 1lb squirrel?
Also, how is it possible that I can convince myself that a stump and a rock is actually an elk. I stare at inanimate objects for far too long.

Attachments

• 20210907_164845.jpg
    20210907_164845.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
2pm and I just settled in for the evening hunt. I went about .25 miles around and circled back to my spot. Trying to keep the wind right and I avoided the bedding area were I busted the animal last night. So far so good. We'll see.

Best of luck man. If you think it sucks sitting out there by yourself, just imagine being at work like me. ha

It happened for a 3rd time. Now that I have settled on a morning hunting spot....a cow came out to my evening hunting spot at 6:23 thi
s morning! Exasperated!!

Attachments

• 20210908_193356.jpg
    20210908_193356.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
I brought 2 beers with me hunting. I think I might have one of them with dinner tonight. I hope that guy from Idaho doesn't judge me.

Day 8 - on stand at 5:30am. Stars everywhere. Much different than 1 year ago when Colorado was recovering from a massive September storm.
Specifically, the forest in the area I am hunting experienced one of the biggest blowdown events in recorded history.
I rode out the storm and woke up in my tent to find that I was completely cut off from civilization. It was the middle of the covid lockdown so I left a message with the forest service's voice mail with my name, phone number and GPS coordinates. About 1 hour later I received a call from the forest service that they knew where I was stranded.
I was informed that I was 9 miles from any exit and it would take a team of sawyers a day or two to cut a line to me.
I had plenty if provisions, so I called my family, told them I was fine, and I went HUNTING.
A day and a half later, I returned to my tent to find a note that the road was clear. Pretty crazy 72 hours. Grateful to be sitting in a pleasant meadow 1 year later. PEACE

Attachments

• 20200910_071232.jpg
    20200910_071232.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200911_093248.jpg
    20200911_093248.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200911_093546.jpg
    20200911_093546.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
This is awesome following along, love it about a week away from my trip. This is like a coaches pep talk to get me pumped for the big game. Keep it up TGW one of these days your bound to guess right for the spot. Good luck

Just had an amazing 10 minute encounter with a cow moose. At one point she was grazing at 14 yds. Got some incredible video.

Attachments

• 20210909_081325.jpg
    20210909_081325.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Hey everyone. Just settling in for evening 8.

I am probably super late to the party, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the HuntStand app.

I'm not connected to them in anyway but I downloaded it about 2 months ago when I started setting up trail cams. I am quite proficient with my GPS, but I found this to be a great addition. I have been using it all week!

As long as you have cell service, you can drop a pin on your exact location and then label it (bedding area, game trail, Basecamp, etc. Next there is a place to make any notes.
I found it was super easy to pull it up at the end of the day, drop topo or satellite maps over the top, and use it as a planning tool for the next days hunt!

In the past I might wonder what is on top of a ridge but would never know unless I hiked up to look. Now I can luck at HuntStand and actually see there is an open meadow before I commit to the walk. Super handy!

I'm not super tech savvy and I'm sure there are many other features. I'm just always trying to improve my experience and I'm glad I tried out the HuntStand app this week. PEACE

The woods were silent tonight! Making a cheese burger for dinner and listening to the football game. Try again tomorrow!

Day 9 - on stand at 5:40. Same location as yesterday's moose encounter. Hopefully we can find the right species today.

Just had 2 bucks come in. One was at 8 yds and couldn't figure me out! Got over 2 minutes of video inside of 15 yds. Super intense.

Attachments

• 20210910_081245.jpg
    20210910_081245.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210910_080953.jpg
    20210910_080953.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
This seems a little weird like I’m looking on a dating site but.... I’m 38 with 3 boys and have hunted for about 20 years now. I hunt everything and am really looking for people I can hunt with. I enjoy the company and don’t want to hire guides all the time. I love to learn to be able to teach my boys someday. Reply here or PM me. Thanks and cheers!
id be down as hell im looking for a mentor lol teaching yourself is hard

Night 9
Unless I shoot an elk this evening. This will be my last post for a couple of days.

My son has a football game tomorrow, I owe my wife an anniversary dinner, and I need to recharge my batteries (literally and figuratively).
I'm going to refresh my supplies and be back up Tuesday morning. Probably going to hunt Tuesday - Thursday for the next two weeks in an attempt to fill my tag!

This has been super fun for me and I hope I have provided a little laughter, inspiration and anticipation for you. I plan to keep posting on Tuesday but hopefully someone else will pick up the torch and run with it throughout the season. I would love to hear what's going on with you and your hunts and I really hope to develop some future hunting buddies!

God speed and good luck! Talk to you soon.
Todd

This seems a little weird like I’m looking on a dating site but.... I’m 38 with 3 boys and have hunted for about 20 years now. I hunt everything and am really looking for people I can hunt with. I enjoy the company and don’t want to hire guides all the time. I love to learn to be able to teach my boys someday. Reply here or PM me. Thanks and cheers!
Hey Mike, I too am looking for new friends to hunt with. I live in CA and am interested in hunting all the other states you mentioned. I’ll follow up with a PM.
Jeff

Thanks for taking us along greatwapati!! Don't give up know. We are all rooting for you!!

I finished the yardwork, I walked the dogs, and I ate a piece of prime rib. I'm baaaaaaaack!!

Night 10 - Super windy and the colors are changing. Only two cows on my first trail cam from over the weekend.

Attachments

• 20210913_132234.jpg
    20210913_132234.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back