MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Our Conservationist, George Dubbya

Oak

Expert
What an interesting concept...kill them to save them.
rolleyes.gif

Hunting, import of foreign endangered species sought
By Shankar Vedantam
The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is proposing far-reaching changes in conservation policies that would allow hunters, circuses and the pet industry to kill, capture and import animals on the brink of extinction in other countries.

Giving Americans access to endangered animals, officials said, would feed the gigantic U.S. demand for live animals, skins, parts and trophies, and would generate profits that would allow poor nations to pay for conservation of the remaining animals and their habitats.

This and other proposals that pursue conservation through trade would, for example, open the door for American trophy hunters to kill the endangered straight-horned markhor in Pakistan; license the pet industry to import the blue-fronted Amazon parrot from Argentina; permit the capture of endangered Asian elephants for U.S. circuses and zoos; and partially resume the international trade in African ivory. No U.S. endangered species would be affected.

Conservation groups counter that killing or capturing even a few animals is hardly the best way to protect endangered species, and they say the policies cater to individuals and businesses that profit from animal exploitation.

"It's a very dangerous precedent to decide that wildlife exploitation is in the best interest of wildlife," said Adam Roberts, a senior research associate at the nonprofit Animal Welfare Institute, an advocacy group for endangered species.

The latest proposal involves an interpretation of the Endangered Species Act that deviates radically from the course followed by Republican and Democratic administrations since President Nixon signed the act in 1973. The law established broad protection for endangered species, most of which are not native to America, and effectively prohibited trade in them.

Kenneth Stansell, assistant director for international affairs at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said there has been a growing realization that the Endangered Species Act gives poor countries no incentive to protect dying species. Allowing American hunters, circuses and the pet industry to pay countries to take fixed numbers of animals from the wild would fund conservation programs for remaining animals, he said.

U.S. officials note that such trade is already open to hunters, pet importers and zoos in other Western nations. They say the idea is supported by poor countries that are home to the endangered species and would benefit from the revenue.

Officials at the Interior Department and Fish and Wildlife, who are spearheading many of the new policies, said the proposals merely implement rarely used provisions in the law.

"This is absolutely consistent with the Endangered Species Act, as written," said David Smith, a deputy assistant interior secretary. "I think the nature of the beast is such that there are critics who are going to claim some kind of ulterior motive."

Animal welfare advocates question the logic of the new approach, saying foreign countries and groups that stand to profit will be in charge of determining how many animals can be killed or captured. Advocates also warn that opening the door to legal trade will allow poaching to flourish.

"As soon as you place a financial price on the head of wild animals, the incentive is to kill the animal or capture them," Roberts said. "The minute people find out they can have an easier time killing, shipping and profiting from wildlife, they will do so."

The proposals also trigger a visceral response: To many animal lovers, these species have emotional and symbolic value, and should never be captured or killed.

The Endangered Species Act prohibits removing domestic endangered species from the wild. Until now, that protection was extended to foreign species. Explaining the change, Stansell said, "There is a recognition that these sovereign nations have a different way of managing their natural resources."

Indeed, many of the strongest advocates for "sustainable use" programs -- under which some animals are "harvested" to raise money to save the rest -- have been countries that are home to various endangered species.

The proposal identifies several species:

• Morelet's crocodile, an endangered freshwater crocodile found in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. Its skin is prized by U.S. leather importers.

• The endangered Asian elephant of India and Southeast Asia. The declining population in U.S. breeding programs "has raised a significant demand among the [U.S.] zoo and circus community," the proposal says.

• The Asian bonytongue, a valuable aquarium fish found in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.

• The straight-horned markhor, an endangered wild goat in Pakistan distinguished by corkscrew-shaped horns. According to the proposal, "allowing a limited number of U.S. hunters an opportunity to import trophies from this population could provide a significant increase in funds available for conservation."

Oak, I haven't read the entire proposal, but I think much of the article is based on interpretation. I have read a few different times that countries like Mongolia welcome western hunters because they willingly pay exorbitant fees for sheep permits and such, and that money is the only money the country has for conservation efforts. Without those dollars, the sheep would be in a lot worse shape than they are now. So...yes, you can say that it's killing them to save them, and of course that has to proceed carefully to avoid destroying what's left; but, I don't think it's so silly and drastic as that article makes it seem.
confused.gif

I'll try to find some articles describing what I've read, if I can.

Here's a paper from UMT that flat-out states that Mongolia has concentrated its argali conservation efforts on trophy-hunting regions and ignored other regions...it also posits, however, that the current program isn't adequate, unless I'm misreading the 1_pointer-speak
wink.gif
:

click here

Here's another that suggests the hunters in western China pay fees directly to regional staff instead of the country as a whole, because the monies aren't making it to the necessary localities. An interesting quote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Threats to argali in Aksai include livestock grazing, placer gold mining, and development of a dam, reservoir and aqueduct.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gee, sounds familiar.
rolleyes.gif

Click here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back