OTC Barbary sheep hunt unit 32

JamesRodney65

I’m new to New Mexico and got here just in time to start getting ready for the 2020 season for Barbary sheep. I’ve done a little research and some homework and have come to the conclusion that I want to hunt unit 34. I’m having trouble finding the line between the OTC land and the draw section. Also if anyone has had luck in this unit any help would be appreciated.

I haven't had any luck yet, been up there a few times this past year. This is the thread I have going about my hunt : https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/barbary-sheep-nm.288917/
I went up and looked around the canyon country of unit 38 for a couple days over my Christmas break. I saw a fair bit of sign near the unit 32 (draw area) border. I could be wrong though, haven't figured out any definitive way to tell the difference between mule deer and barbary droppings. I am hoping my back will stop screaming at me and I can get back up there a few more times before my tag expires in March.

I haven't had any luck yet, been up there a few times this past year. This is the thread I have going about my hunt : https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/barbary-sheep-nm.288917/
I went up and looked around the canyon country of unit 38 for a couple days over my Christmas break. I saw a fair bit of sign near the unit 32 (draw area) border. I could be wrong though, haven't figured out any definitive way to tell the difference between mule deer and barbary droppings. I am hoping my back will stop screaming at me and I can get back up there a few more times before my tag expires in March.
Thank you for your response. Hopefully I can catch a few just roaming through 34. My buddy has hunted them in 32 and says they travel way to much to scout for the sheep it self mainly scout for promising terrain. With that it kinda seems your shooting in the dark. Still I’m insane enough to peruse the OTC hunt. If I can get within 500yds I can let the 7mm rip.

+1
CC.jpg

I know several people who consistently fill tags. Biggest pointer they told me was get good boots. If you want to put sheep down with any consistency you have to go out of the way. They got 2 sheep last year both were several miles in from the road.

How do they taste compared to more common game like venison, elk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back