MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Orion Cooler - 65 or 85?

Steelsearchin

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a fancy cooler…but now I'm stuck trying to decide between these two sizes…

I was fortunate enough to draw a pair of WY pronghorn tags for this fall, and I'm wondering if I'd be able to squeeze two quartered up speed goats/ice in an 85?? The internal dimensions aren't that different between the 85 and 65 (28.75" x 13" vs 24.25" x 11.75"), but there's a 7# weight difference.

Other uses would be icing down early season whitetails and I'll like use it as a casting platform in the boat. The 85 would be nicer for loading with salmon/walleye, but the 43# dry weight scares me a bit.

Unfortunately the local distributor doesn't have either in stock at the moment, so I'm stuck guessing with a tape. Any firsthand accounts of either cooler would be greatly appreciated (i.e. "a 65 holds a whitetail perfectly…").

Thanks!

-tom

Go with the 85. The weight isn't much different then the 65 so I wouldn't worry about that. You can never have "too" much cooler space. I love my Orion coolers.

Let me know when you get it in. I would like to get my hands on it and see one first hand before ordering one.

I was in the same boat you're r in. I went with the 65 and it arrived at the house yesterday. Impressive cooler but I think I will end up getting an 85 on down the road. I wanted one that would be an all around cooler. The 65 size also seems to fit my canoe better.

Last edited:
IMG_1596.jpg
Orion 65 did great on its maiden voyage. No fish to take back in it because of the monsoon season we have had lately, rivers are too high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back