Oregon Raising Fees

i encourage you to write an email to them saying just that. lots of people are. its probably too late but you never know.

thanks.

The way I read it the non-refundable NR fee to apply went from $76.00 to $140.00 plus per species fees.

I don't think it is per species. It is just the license cost, which you only have to pay once. Doubling it is tough, but it does put them in line with most other states that require a license purchase. Too bad their quality does not equal those states.

Oak, what he meant was the per species controlled app cost, which was $4.50 and looks like now will be $8.00 per app.

The increases are obviously steep, but I agree that they will now be comparable with other states (ID, AZ, & NV for example). Until now, OR was a NR bargain. This will not stop me from putting in every year because I like to chukar hunt over there and buy the license anyway, but the increased tag fees might cause me to hold out longer for better units.

Ah yes, I see that I read it as "$140+" instead of "$140, plus".

Although the quality is not great, there are still some deer tags that are relatively easy for non-residents to draw. I like deer hunting, so I'll probably keep applying.

Not sure I agree with you guys on this state being worth it. I have a few points for all species (10 antelope) and am not sure I will still apply. There are too many other states that are way better for the price and you can get a tag at least every other year there. The deer hunting is not very good and waiting 14-15 years to shoot a mid 70's to a 80" antelope just doesn't seem worth it. I will more than likely apply to see how many people drop out and then try and burn my points where I can.

Oregon just isn't worth it to me. They really screw the non-residents with the number of tags they give them. Just my .02.

Wow, glad I bailed on OR three yeas ago. Bummer for those guys with "almost" enough points.

I'm with Bugler... It's close to Idaho so I was putting in, but although it seems like a Small fee, an Extra $75 + per year for 4-5 years to draw a Deer tag doesn't seem worth it to me. I'll be drawing in 2010 for deer with Bugler I decided then I think I'm done.

Well I think Oregon is a hidden secret for hunting. I am glad that people aren't going to apply here anymore. After working in an archery shop for the last three years and seeing some of the monster bulls being taken in my area I am surprised people are not coming from out of state. we had no less than 15 330 plus bulls that people brought to the shop. and this is just what our customers brought in. one that grossed 389 7/8 and another in the lower 380s. a number of these bulls were taken with over the counter tags and a few with draw tags. For your info the Sled springs unit is very over looked that you can draw it every 3 years and has lots of 350 class bulls. NE oregon has some of the best elk hunting around. especially when you account for the quality of some of the over the counter units. Deer hunting is lacking but there are some decent bucks. The Bear hunting is great though too.

I was just reading my "Hunting Fool" magazine and was thinking of adding Oregon to my list of states to apply. I have to agree with the previous posts which say they are now charging a premium for non premium hunting.

I used to live in Oregon. For 20-some years. The hunting wasn't all that. In fact, the west side of the state was especially tough due to the crazy thick brush, etc. BUT, in eastern oregon, you could get into some pretty good animals. Unfortunately, Oregon doesn't manage for high quality animals, IMHO. I haven't hunted there in 12 years and have had much better experiences in other states.

As a Oregon resident for over 30+ years I have both archery hunted and rifle hunted.I have seen a lot of money wasted by ODFW. My concern is now that they have doubled the app, fees and raised everything else, where is that money going. If you do the math last year alone with the old fees they were getting over 2mil. now it's well over 5 mil, just from the app, fees.
I have sent e-mails to ODFW with my concerns but have had no replies.I will be not spending much to hunt in my own state especially if they can't step up and explain themselves.

I've got 11 antelope points but with the increase in the license, I think I'm going to save my money this year. I've got deer and elk points too but only a couple each. I definitely want to use those antelope points, but I don't have money to throw away this year. Next year I will plan on putting in for any unit that has good odds for 11 points. I don't care what unit, just want to burn the points and get out of the Oregon game. I'd rather spend my money in Idaho or Montana.

as a oregon resident for 45 yrs,I just see a bigger fancy building in salem {headquarters},in the last 10 years ive seen no improvements for our big game and our mule deer getting decimated by couger,oregon management needs to wake up and spend the moneys on the animals instead of there fancy buildings.

While it is true that the ODFW has managed to mismanage almost everything we can hunt or fish for in this state, it is far from a lost cause. The problem as I see it, is that we as hunters and outdoorsmen here in Oregon, cannot seem to get together on what to do about it. Or to even get together and force a change. Nonresident tag fees have been a bargin for many years, and are just now coming in line with the rest of the western states. Oregon has never been a hotspot for record breaking deer or elk, with the exception of blacktailed deer, I was once told that there was no reason to hunt western Oregon for elk because they didn't grow very big antlers. while this is true, youhave to remember that these are a very differnt species of elk then what you find in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. That would be like comparing a Coues deer to an Illonios deer. It is a far different challange to hunt blacktailed deer and Roosevelt elk then to hunt mule deer in Colorado, or Rocky Mountain elk in Montana. My biggest question to the ODFW is, if the terrain and environments are so similar to other states, why is it so hard to maintain good herd populations here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back