Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Oregon Mule Deer

Little Big Man MT Chris

I’m leaving the friendly confines of the Coast Range Jungle and am in route to eastern Oregon for Mule Deer season tomorrow, it’s been 5 years since I’ve hunted eastern Oregon, pretty much the whole bow crew is going , we did a group tag and the future Mrs Oregonchris drew a tag also and she’s getting to experience her 1st mule deer hunt as well , I think we have 6 or 7 tags in our crew , the parents left Thursday and secured our spot. Eastern Oregon here we come

34A0E161-1CF8-4742-84EC-6547D8CC6D1E.jpeg

E0D586D4-6223-49AF-8127-F0E78817376A.jpeg

Last edited:
Breakfast is lookin' awesome..Good luck to the whole crew.Gettr' Done!
I'll be following. 🔥

2019 deer Camp

20931323-47AB-4C42-8097-9E7F99AF3FA8.jpeg

11A2FB72-8E08-47EA-AD28-9236F34B9A19.jpeg

E245C6C5-08D9-47A2-8C29-C6CBD776467E.jpeg

BF5D0CE8-8A92-415E-BB03-4BF7D509E2F5.jpeg

78E197CE-BD22-4431-B377-D567A953FC38.jpeg

8E1E83F1-5E47-4ECA-8D3A-AE99B2F2EAA9.jpeg

After an evening scout and 3 hours this morning, have not seen a deer , we seen 3 groups of elk the last this morning was about 30 head with a giant bull. The other guys have seen 7 does , we also have 4 bear tags in the group

The guys last hunted here in 2016 and all tagged out on 3 point or better bucks , but after that season there was a severe winter kill in eastern Oregon and this was one of the harder hit units, they cut the tags in half and haven’t added them back , talked with some locals last night and they said it’s been down ever since , if the deer ended up being hard to come by on this hunt , it’s gonna be a great camp with tons of food !!!!

I wasn't going to tell you how bad the deer herd is here because I didn't want to blow your buzz but it's been declining for several years and the winter of 16/17 put the nail in the coffin. If you follow that biggest timbered canyon on the right side of your picture down to where it hits the Powder River that's where I live. I didn't bother to pick up my LOP tag this year and haven't for several years. It's not just here, a couple weeks ago I traveled from Lakeview to Burns to Baker City and on to Richland at night. Did not see 1 deer, dead or alive. It's a terrible situation, much worse than ODFW will acknowledge.

I wasn't going to tell you how bad the deer herd is here because I didn't want to blow your buzz but it's been declining for several years and the winter of 16/17 put the nail in the coffin. If you follow that biggest timbered canyon on the right side of your picture down to where it hits the Powder River that's where I live. I didn't bother to pick up my LOP tag this year and haven't for several years. It's not just here, a couple weeks ago I traveled from Lakeview to Burns to Baker City and on to Richland at night. Did not see 1 deer, dead or alive. It's a terrible situation, much worse than ODFW will acknowledge.

Yeah we’re not finding any deer tracks or even old deer crap of any kind it’s it’s pretty bleak

They are up really high. This spring and summer has been one of the best in a long time. Te antler growth is really really good! There is water and food everywhere. Its the same reason the elk rut hasn't started. Everything is a couple weeks late. I just came back from my property. Wednesday the bulls started bugling. We found 3 bulls all bugling with no cows. Found lots of cows in groups of 3 or 4 with quite a few calf. it'll start this week with the weather change. I jumped another bull that only had 3 cows and some a couple calf's. No bugle from him. I am hearing the same from several other hunters. Colorado is late also.

Found deer up high on. Usually the fields are covered in deer in the morning and night. They just started coming in. If I had to guess its gonna set the deer back a couple weeks.

Chris, I hope this stays a hunt (not just camping) and finishes with some notched tags, but in the meantime enjoy the camping - that looks like a rather impressive setup you guys have. Good luck!

Good luck with your hunt. There's lot's of country North of your picture of the Powder R. with good transition zones and public ownership. It'll be interesting to see if you get snow tonight or tomorrow. I'll be following and hoping for a picture of bucks hanging. Reports of incidental Grouse sightings are encouraged.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back