Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oregon Elk Poacher Caught in Crater Lake NP

Man I hate a poacher/wildlife violator. I read the posts talking about the poaching problems in Washington and Oregon. Well, we’ve got the same problem here in Kentucky and all over I’m thinking. These trash seem to have a mindset that they have the right to kill game anywhere and anytime they want. I like seeing these large fines and jail times but I’d like to see more. I’d like to see those convicted be required to wear electronic monitors.

Now that we can have decriminalized coke, heroin, meth, and shrooms I expect to see more poaching.
Guys gettin hopped up and making bad decisions.

I think you're referring to the interstate wildlife violators compact. 45 states participating, 4 states in the process of joining, and Hawaii as the solo No.

@elkduds I haven't actually read the statute, but our LEO's have described to me that Oregon poachers are often hit with the maximum fines. Unfortunately they're very weak. Oregon Hunters Association has been lobbying for harsher penalties for years, but when the walkout occurred last session those bills were torpedoed.
I’ve always wondered how this is enforced though it’s not like all the state license agencies are linked together to “red flag” someone’s name in other states if they try to obtain a hunting license after their hunting license was revoked in their home state? I just assume it would add another charge if they were caught doing it. I could be wrong maybe they are linked but if they are that’s news to me. Hell Arizona can’t even get their new license/draw system set up accurately as a lot of us seen this year I doubt the state agencies would be linked in anyway. I know if someone’s name was ran by LAw enforcement it would show up but if a person is never checked what would stop them.

maybe there’s someone here with more knowledge that could share how that kind of thing is tracked and enforced. Im
Sure we have some Game Wardens here that could possibly chime in.

Last edited:
I’ve always wondered how this is enforced though it’s not like all the state license agencies are linked together to “red flag” someone’s name in other states if they try to obtain a hunting license after their hunting license was revoked in their home state? I just assume it would add another charge if they were caught doing it. I could be wrong maybe they are linked but if they are that’s news to me. Hell Arizona can’t even get their new license/draw system set up accurately as a lot of us seen this year I doubt the state agencies would be linked in anyway

maybe there’s someone here with more knowledge that could share how that kind of thing is tracked and enforced. Im
Sure we have some Game Wardens here that could possibly chime in.

I'm not sure how the network is operated/ enforced, but the intent is that if a poacher loses his license privileges in one state he will be barred from holding a license in the other 44 participating states.

If someone with more knowledge doesn't chime in I'll try and contact one of our wildlife officers and see if they can expand on the topic.

I'm not sure how the network is operated/ enforced, but the intent is that if a poacher loses his license privileges in one state he will be barred from holding a license in the other 44 participating states.

If someone with more knowledge doesn't chime in I'll try and contact one of our wildlife officers and see if they can expand on the topic.
I understand the Intent just not sure how it could be Enforced. Other than if someone’s name was ran while they are out hunting and it shows up they are not supposed to be

I truly think we will see an increase in poaching cases over the next 20 years, not less. People arnt drawing tags like they used to and they will start poaching like crazy to get their fix. If a person keeps their mouth shut and doesn't post on social media the odds in them getting caught are pretty slim.
“If a person keeps their mouth shut and doesn’t post......” !

But that seems to be the big gotcha in this issue. People do this for the purpose of ego, and it is that ego that starts and ends with them hanging themselves. So, it is good in the respect that that attention is their own downfall !

Yep, social networking among mental midgets can certainly be self-destructive. Or you'd think it should be. Seems current events have proven me wrong.

Three years ago I walked out to my vehicle after a day of pheasant hunting to find a game warden waiting. He had been watching another hunter who was watching a huge buck with does feeding in a BMA field. The other guy didn't shoot the buck because he saw my rig parked and thought I must be stalking it. I had seen the buck but no tag so I hunted the other side of the road and left him for someone else. That deer was lucky he was only seen by a couple of real sportsmen. Anyway, I commented about that buck being comparable to a big one that hung out in the safety zone of another BMA ranch. "Yeah, well look in the back of the truck." Oh no! There was his head. A group of Wisconsin hunters drove past the red signs up the road to the ranch house and shot that whopper right in the driveway. "They were surprisingly cooperative. Even helped load the carcass for rancher to process." Head was confiscated for evidence and later probably auctioned. I asked the warden if he confiscated their phones and he just looked at me puzzled. "Get their phones long enough to erase the photos of that bruiser and I bet those rich boys wouldn't have been nearly as pleasant." Those guys didn't have any intention of taking that buck home. Picture posed with it was all they wanted. Wouldn't surprise me if they had an agent buy the rack at the annual FW&P auction (I presume the state still does it). Without a photo he wouldn't know what to bid on.

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/wildlife-management/oregon-man-sentenced-for-poaching-in-national-park?utm_campaign=2/10/20_MeatEater (One of the Dumbest Poachers Ever) (SukkpZ)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_content=None&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIll5Z1dRNyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJrZXR0bmVybndAeWFob28uY29tIn0=

"$42,500 in restitution, a six-month detention at a residential reentry center, and five years of federal probation...Documents say the majority of his hunting waypoints and track logs marked between 2011 and 2016 were within national park boundaries. The agency was able to definitively link six seized specimens to poaching that occured in 2015 and 2016 in the park."
Love seeing them caught

Our problem in TN is muli-faceted in reference to wildlife violations and poaching :
-not enough officers to patrol
-allowed penalties don’t have much teeth
-judges that either don’t see the severity in wildlife crimes (they call it a victimless crime), or they are too concerned about politics to convict/let it go to trial

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back