Oregon Elk Poacher Caught in Crater Lake NP

COEngineer

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/wildlife-management/oregon-man-sentenced-for-poaching-in-national-park?utm_campaign=2/10/20_MeatEater (One of the Dumbest Poachers Ever) (SukkpZ)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_content=None&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIll5Z1dRNyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJrZXR0bmVybndAeWFob28uY29tIn0=

"$42,500 in restitution, a six-month detention at a residential reentry center, and five years of federal probation...Documents say the majority of his hunting waypoints and track logs marked between 2011 and 2016 were within national park boundaries. The agency was able to definitively link six seized specimens to poaching that occured in 2015 and 2016 in the park."

Well, I will admit, the penalty for being a ‘loser’ in this case, did have some teeth in it. A slight improvement over a slap on the wrist. Is it still not severe enough to deter others ? As we all know, laws do not stop all poaching, but the use of non-punitive results will surely only increase it ! It is hard to understand why strictness in these issues is so often discouraged in its use !

I truly think we will see an increase in poaching cases over the next 20 years, not less. People arnt drawing tags like they used to and they will start poaching like crazy to get their fix. If a person keeps their mouth shut and doesn't post on social media the odds in them getting caught are pretty slim.

I hate it for all of us. But I think thats where we are at in society right now.

Great to see the guy's name and photo making the headlines. He is branded a slob forever. Worst of all he dragged his kid down with him. Helluva poor way for that boy to start off life. It will be an uphill battle for him.

I truly think we will see an increase in poaching cases over the next 20 years, not less. People arnt drawing tags like they used to and they will start poaching like crazy to get their fix. If a person keeps their mouth shut and doesn't post on social media the odds in them getting caught are pretty slim.

I hate it for all of us. But I think thats where we are at in society right now.

I think you might be right unfortunately.

There was an ODFW radio transmitter collar study on a mule deer population in Oregon and leading causes of mortality for female mule deer was predation (4.4%), human caused -mainly vehicle (3.8%), illegal harvest (3.1%).

Cant assume this is going on in every population but it’s eye opening.

I think you might be right unfortunately.

There was an ODFW radio transmitter collar study on a mule deer population in Oregon and leading causes of mortality for female mule deer was predation (4.4%), human caused -mainly vehicle (3.8%), illegal harvest (3.1%).

Cant assume this is going on in every population but it’s eye opening.
There’s an old school culture of poaching that runs pretty deep in many parts of Oregon. Some of the stories that my buddy, who grew up in Bend has told me about a group of guys from his neighborhood while growing up are absolutely nauseating.

What @rtraverdavis said!^^
And it’s even worse in parts of the east side, was pretty prevalent when I lived/worked around JDay.

For years I thought some bastard was going to have the Nosler buck hanging in his garage😖

What @rtraverdavis said!^^
And it’s even worse in parts of the east side, was pretty prevalent when I lived/worked around JDay.

For years I thought some bastard was going to have the Nosler buck hanging in his garage😖

Massive problem in Oregon. We have 40 wildlife officers for more than 31 million acres on the east side of the cascades. Between a severely understaffed wildlife division and the refusal of the legislature to implement harsher penalties these folks poach with no regard for the law.

Thanks for posting this. Seems the Feds (NPS, USFWS, OSP, federal court) are more serious than any state and local authorities. The locals should follow their lead, including here in CO.

Thanks for posting this. Seems the Feds (NPS, USFWS, OSP, federal court) are more serious than any state and local authorities. The locals should follow their lead, including here in CO.
See @FI460 ‘s post above. At least here in Oregon, I think they would if they could.

See @FI460 ‘s post above. At least here in Oregon, I think they would if they could.
Agreed, states lack law enforcement resources for poaching, illegal trail use, etc. What I'm advocating is when a state poaching case gets found guilty that the court impose penalties beyond wrist-slap fines, probation and license suspensions; to jail time, lifetime suspension of all hunting privileges, 5-6 figure fines. And conservation-related useful public service.

In CO, hunters who anonymously report poachers or suspicion of same can receive limited license preference points as a reward. If you see something, take notes, descriptions, location, photos and turn them in. Because as you noted, there are not enough LEOs to be everywhere, all the time. It is on us in he field to say something.

OR the same ... monetary or PPs should your tip prove valid in conviction.

I wish states would have a better pact that would strip hunting in ALL states when/if convicted of major violations.

OR the same ... monetary or PPs should your tip prove valid in conviction.

I wish states would have a better pact that would strip hunting in ALL states when/if convicted of major violations.
Last I knew almost all states were signed onto that agreement. Seem to recall it was 46 states at last count. Anybody got an update on that? I can't remember the name of the legislation.

It’s the Lacey Act for the most part but from what an ex-ODFW buddy of mine told me due to budget constraints it’s rarely implemented with much teeth in it...hope he’s wrong but we all know now wildlife budgets tend to struggle

Last I knew almost all states were signed onto that agreement. Seem to recall it was 46 states at last count. Anybody got an update on that? I can't remember the name of the legislation.
I think you're referring to the interstate wildlife violators compact. 45 states participating, 4 states in the process of joining, and Hawaii as the solo No.

@elkduds I haven't actually read the statute, but our LEO's have described to me that Oregon poachers are often hit with the maximum fines. Unfortunately they're very weak. Oregon Hunters Association has been lobbying for harsher penalties for years, but when the walkout occurred last session those bills were torpedoed.

My wife's best friend brought her 6 year old grand son to our house one day. His mother and father were separated and mom and the 6 year old were living with another guy. The little guy noticed by how the house looked that I was a hunter. He got all excited and said he loves hunting and that his mom's boyfriend would take him hunting all the time. I didn't know this guy but he sounded like a pretty good person to take the boy hunting like that. Then he said, "my favorite part is when their eyes light up." I was angry about the poaching but more sad about how the tradition of poaching gets passed down through the generations.

While working for the Forest Service we did several jobs inside Crater Lake National Park. Each of the two times we were there during hunting season we encountered people "hunting" in the park. One guy hunting with his kid told us he didn't see the massive 15 foot sign that marks the entrance to the park. The other just ran off. If I saw that many in the few times I was there I hate to think of how many people are in there poaching every year. With just a few rangers covering the whole park I doubt they catch very many.

Glad to see they got this guy. Funny, whenever I here about someone around here getting caught poaching they are either from White City or Eagle Point. Two town right next to each other.

Yeah the verbiage of the law was first penned in CO IN THE EARLY 80’s I believe and then passed into law in Colorado, Nevada and Oregon to form the official Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact in 1989.

Problem with both is the terms like “can and might” instead of “will and shall”. Does anyone know if there are any substantial financial set asides to ensure that these cases (the biggies) actually end up with reciprocity?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back