Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Oregon antelope

Sorry about your loss. Your antelope is a great buck. I really like the dark coloration on his face. Beautiful animal.

After 14 years of living in Oregon, I finally decided to stop waiting for one of the premier units and just put in for something I thought I could draw.

I drew the tag and started my internet scouting. I made 2 trips (6 hours one way) to the unit to scout as well. In both trips I only saw 1 buck on public land. On those scouting trips I really came to love my onX Maps Hunt app on my phone.

The hunt is only 1 week long so I wouldn't have much time. My plan was to take my boys and hunt opening weekend and see what happened from there.

Unfortunately my Grandfather passed away and opening day was spent celebrating the life of one of the greatest men I have ever known. A WWII vet and retired teacher and coach, he was just one in a million. My Grandma has been gone for 24 years so the thought of them being back together gives me comfort.

So we didn't get out at all since the funeral was out of state and to be honest I really wasn't feeling the urge. By Tuesday, I was feeling better and decided to give it a go. So I left work and drove to the unit that evening. I slept in the truck and Wednesday morning I got up and started working my way up the public piece of land that I had seen the buck from the scouting trips.

To make the story short, I saw the buck with his 14 does right off the bat. Worked into position and 1 shot later, he was down. I had him cut up and packed back to the truck before 8am.

Not a great buck, but all things considered I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Browsing around and come across your story. Thanks for sharing. Way to get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back