Oregan elk damage hunt?

Hem

I have a BIL in Oregon who runs a dairy farm. He keeps telling me to come out and harvest an elk. Anybody from Oregon understand the hoops for a non resident to hunt on a residents property using a damage tag or a landowner preference tag? Is the process a pain in the butt?
Yeah, I'm lazy...
Elk hunt would be casual too.
Maybe an excuse for a roadtrip.

If his farm is in one of the designated damage areas you can just buy the tag otc. If he's not in a designated area I think he can still get some tags if he can show damage. But it's going to cost a non-res $760. Oregon gives no break for a cow. LOP is probably too late unless he knows someone.
I'm hunting that tag on my place right now. Had some fun mornings when the rut was still on and could have killed a bull on two mornings but haven't had a chance at a cow yet. They've went nocturnal.

I don't have very solid info on the LOP tag, but you might be able to get one for next year. Is the hunt this season or next year? Some units that used to be OTC damage tags did go to limited and required draw. Even though some of those units never allocate all the tags, they still can run out of non-resident aloted draw tags.

Thank you for the responses.
To be honest this has been a casual conversation, I don't have full facts.
The dairy provides milk for Tillamook so it is in that proximity. This year is not an option for me, but maybe next year.
I would be hard pressed to pony up $800 for a cow given where I live. Sounded like something fun, maybe combine it with some offshore fishing. Pretty certain he said he had both LOP and damage tags.

I don't see Tillamook on the general damage map so it would be a controlled hunt with a quota. He probably does qualify for LOP tags but for a controlled hunt you have to be listed on the LOP distribution form by May15 and apply for that certain controlled hunt. I used to be in the LOP program but stopped registering my land when I quit hunting mule deer.
If you do put it together come in August or September for the best offshore options.

One of my subcontractor’s PM owns property just across the river from us and has several alfalfa fields that get hit pretty hard. According to him the ODWFG officer for the area can issue him land owner permits. I would need to purchase the NR tag, but wouldn’t have to put in for a draw.

There would be very little travel for me, so $760 for another cow in the freezer would be worth it. Just need him to officially invite…

Reactions: Hem
One of my subcontractor’s PM owns property just across the river from us and has several alfalfa fields that get hit pretty hard. According to him the ODWFG officer for the area can issue him land owner permits. I would need to purchase the NR tag, but wouldn’t have to put in for a draw.

There would be very little travel for me, so $760 for another cow in the freezer would be worth it. Just need him to officially invite…
If you do get the chance make sure they are not coming and going in darkness before buying the tag.

I don't see Tillamook on the general damage map so it would be a controlled hunt with a quota. He probably does qualify for LOP tags but for a controlled hunt you have to be listed on the LOP distribution form by May15 and apply for that certain controlled hunt. I used to be in the LOP program but stopped registering my land when I quit hunting mule deer.
If you do put it together come in August or September for the best offshore options.
Thank you again.
Good info .
My BIL isn't a hunter so at least I can have a more informed conversation with him now. Still like to go offshore on a flyrod charter for tuna.
I'll do some homework this winter on both.

This is also my understanding as well. Even though there are damage hunts cow tag drawings in our area, some of the ranchers can still get damage control tags OTC so to speak from ODFW. I’m not certain how long the season lasts over on the coast but my guess is they would open the damage hunts early enough to take advantage of the Tuna Fishing as well. A rancher I know in Umatilla county starts in September and gets shut down by ODFW typically by Thanksgiving. He‘s not taking a lot of elk, just enough to keep them moving around, spread them out a little. Once winter sets in and the high country elk migrate down ODFW shuts the program down.
Since your brother is not a hunter I would call ODFW in Tillimook and talk to the biologist there about timing. The owner or manager of the dairy will have to authorize your tag and you do need to buy a non resident license and tag..

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back