Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Orange vest recommendations?

LongCut

I have worn a heavy faux wool vest for gun hunting for many, many seasons. Kind of a "lucky" piece I guess? The zipper broke last year, and since I have been upgrading all of my clothing, I am looking for a new orange vest. Something with useful pockets that will fit over a couple of layers if needed, so not "athletic" fit. What brand do you guys have that you like??

With it being the outermost layer, I was picturing some decent pockets. I usually throw hand warmers in there. Not looking for insulation, but also don't want something that is going to be a sponge if it rains. Sitka sort of look like the best option, but I was hoping I am missing some hidden gems somewhere.

A "nice" piece of blaze clothing is pretty limiting in my experience, i.e. not very versatile. I have gone to buying the thinnest nylon shells I can find, either vest or coat style that I can slip on over Sitka. I've found them at Walmart and Fleet Farm, about $5 for a vest, and $15 for long sleeves w/ hood. Can roll up vest into the palm of my hand 2 oz, and coat 4 oz.

I have a First Light one that I like... problem is it’s wool so kinda sucks if it’s raining or snowing and it’s your top layer. I like it for CO rifle elk and mule deer.

Personally every other best I’ve ever warn wears like a trash bag and those ones that close with the Velcro and garbage.

I really don’t understand why someone doesn’t make a true to size $30, synthetic vest. The browning vest is the best in this price range. I would take a look at that one. You can definitely fit layer under it lol

I have a First Light one that I like... problem is it’s wool so kinda sucks if it’s raining or snowing and it’s your top layer. I like it for CO rifle elk and mule deer.

Personally every other best I’ve ever warn wears like a trash bag and those ones that close with the Velcro and garbage.

I really don’t understand why someone doesn’t make a true to size $30, synthetic vest. The browning vest is the best in this price range. I would take a look at that one. You can definitely fit layer under it lol
Or why I can’t just get something like a Sitka mountain vest in blaze. Kuiu makes the guide vest that’s more of a Broncos orange and definitely not sized to fit over other layers.

Fortunately in Wyoming I can just wear a hat.

I use this mesh surveying vest. Has large pockets. Works well for me.

I use this mesh surveying vest. Has large pockets. Works well for me.
That thing is hot.
i like anything I can put my name on the back of or my number- kind of like a uniform

I wanted one of Cabela’s pack vests for a long time. Finally bought one for MN deer hunting. Problem is, with all the pockets in it, you are tempted to put things in it. Soon the vest weighs 10 pounds and makes you pear shaped with enough gear that you almost have arm rests wherever you sit. Handy for stand hunting when you don’t want to bring a pack but that’s about it. Burrs stick to it easily too. Still wear it though but don’t really know why.

I have some of the cheapo vests. I dont think they use actual human dimensions when they make those? They seem to fit like a bath towel and grab on to everything, plus the buckles/velcro are usually junk!

I have been concentrating so much on everything but this layer, and just realized how hard it is going to be to find what I am after. I guess I will just have to invent the best orange vest around, become uber-wealthy, and hunt and shoot every day...... :unsure:

FWIW, I have a Sitka one that I got with a membership to one of the conservation orgs...I like it. Just enough pockets, fits over my puffy coat, no zipper to worry about, sturdy fabric that seems like it will last a long time (about 5 years on it now and no issues), doesn’t snag, fairly moisture repellent, not too hot. No idea what they actually cost though.

Mrs45 and I have a couple of middle weight vests I got 70% at Midway a few years ago. I just watch for the sales.

These are bombproof and have decent pockets

Check out forestry suppliers surveyors vests, may be something there you could customize to suit your taste.

I found one somewhere but the name escapes me..... it's a stretchy but quiet material. Pockets to hold my gloves and a few other things...Probably 12 years old now..

1599234372138.png

or you could go TactiCOOL....

1599234469520.png

The suit is great, but looks like blaze camo is a no go for CO... Tacticool is also amazing! Reminds me of Bennett from commando!

Some good ideas on here, thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back