Optima Battery

mtmuley

Time for a new battery. Looking at the Optima Red Top. Anybody have one? Worth it? mtmuley

I got 7 1/2 years out of the one in my '97 Ram. It never leaked and never had any gunk build up around the terminals like most other batteries.
It was well worth the $$.

I’ve been looking at the same. Just don’t know if the extra money is worth it.
They really aren't that much more than other batteries I am looking at. I've had great luck with Les Schwab batteries. I knew the Optima was good, just had never looked at them seriously. mtmuley

Battery discussions seem to be a lot like bullet or optic discussions.

I’m intrigued by them. The Northstar AGM batteries are popular as well.

I’ve seen them cut almost in half by a fan in a accident and still work. I have them in my Jeep because of that. A daily driver that doesn’t get the abuse I think they are over kill. To me for DD duty they don’t have any longer of a run time or CCA that I can’t get out of a good brand acid battery. I know you can discharge them more but your starter won’t work well at that discharge to get you going. If you just want the radio it will last considerably longer than acid.

They really aren't that much more than other batteries I am looking at. I've had great luck with Les Schwab batteries. I knew the Optima was good, just had never looked at them seriously. mtmuley
My Tundra needs a new battery, but other than going to pick up the boys at daycare 1/2 mile away, it only gets driven for hunting/camping/family trips. Total mileage for a year is ~5000 miles.

On one hand when I need it to work, it’s occasionally in a spot where I REALLY need it to work, but on the other 95% of the time it’s in the driveway.

I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from Les Schwab (as a company) so I wouldn’t buy a battery from them if they were the second to last available.

I keep looking at the prices for Interstate at Costco. Interstates have always done ok for me with diesels and equipment, and hard to beat the Costco prices. But, optima’s have a great rep, and have had it for a lot of years.

My Tundra needs a new battery, but other than going to pick up the boys at daycare 1/2 mile away, it only gets driven for hunting/camping/family trips. Total mileage for a year is ~5000 miles.

On one hand when I need it to work, it’s occasionally in a spot where I REALLY need it to work, but on the other 95% of the time it’s in the driveway.

I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth from Les Schwab (as a company) so I wouldn’t buy a battery from them if they were the second to last available.

I keep looking at the prices for Interstate at Costco. Interstates have always done ok for me with diesels and equipment, and hard to beat the Costco prices. But, optima’s have a great rep, and have had it for a lot of years.
I'll probly just get another Schwab. 9 years on this one and another in my old Chevy. 7 years in the wife's rig. Just wanted opinions on the Optima. mtmuley

Have had the deep cycles in my boat for 11 years now, still strong. Don’t know if they’re worth it in a car or truck, but in boats you‘ll be money ahead by far.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back