Optics upgrade

DanWyo

So I’ve been messing around with my optics setup. I currently have Maven C1 10x42s, no spotter. I tried 15s, and prefer a spotter. I’ve been mulling buying a pair of SLCs.
My question: are my dollars better put toward a spotter and keeping the mavens, or upgrading the binos and keeping the spotter on the wishlist for down the road?

Look through them, obviously! Kidding.

I hunt western Wyoming. A lot of big country. Deer, bear, elk, antelope. Definitely a bunch of glassing as opposed to still hunting or stand hunting. My C1s are very middle of the road. Nothing terrible to say, but they do have their limitations. I’ve messed with mid range spotters and have been frustrated by blurry views and unusable higher magnifications. Looking for the best bang for my buck upgrade that won’t have me looking to upgrade again in a few years (or ever).

As an upgrade to my Leupold green ring 10x40, I bought both SLCs and Zeiss Victory T*FL 10x42s. After about a month with both, I kept the Zeiss and sold the SLCs. I still believe Zeiss to be the best, but I doubt you'll have a huge uptick in the amount of game spotted if you don't upgrade. I think I would go with the spotter for the most added functionality.

IMO you should definitely upgrade the Binos first. They are an everyday, every hour use for me when hunting. Spotters are great when you need them but not something that you cant live without. Not sure if SLC are the best option at this point but I purchased good glass a couple of years ago and I haven't regretted it a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back