Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Optics Question

Stieners are just about the most overrated glass going. There are a lot of binos around that have better optics and are more rugged. Mine fell from the floor of an f-250 to the ground, while in a hard padded case, and they wanted $250 to re-align the left prism. To me ruggedness is also pretty important.

No shit, my compact stieners fell off a lawn chair in my garage and the prism dislodged and they wanted 80$ to fix a pair of Binos I paid 135$ for. They sent me back a "factory rebuilt" pair that had double vision, i shit you not....
So i griped about the shipping charges and inconvenience and they sent me the next better pair in their list product list, and they were brand new. I took them out for a summer hike in the rain and BOTH tubes fogged up....
Then they sent me another brand new pair and I have had them for 2 years but they only go turkey hunting or bike riding. I am paranoid to do anything else with them!

Stiener were decent optics once, they got too many good reviews to have not been, but I have a feeling that there was a change of business ethics not too long ago.

guppie9, I've got a pair of 10x42 cabela brand roof prism binos that I have upgraded to Ziess classics a few years ago. The cabela look just like the leupold wind rivers and I suspect they were outsourced to the same company. ( a philippines company whose name I never recall) anyway, if you might be interested I'd take $100 and shipping. PM me

They sent me back a "factory rebuilt" pair that had double vision, i shit you not....

When did this happen? I had a pair of Steiner Senators that all the armor coating fell off. I sent them in to look at em to see how much it would cost to resurface. They told me that they'd send me a reconditioned pair for a small fee. We guess what they sent? A low quality military marine pair that were cross up inside. Talk about eye strain. I called up a pitched a bitch with them. They had another pair of Night hunters that they had reconditioned. so they sent them to me. The bino's are ok but the eye cups have been replaced several times and it cost like $40 each time. They should warranty it but don't. I would go Swarovski all the way.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys. I really appreciate it. I've talked it over with the other half and she said I could spend around $300 or so for Father's Day. I really like the Nikon Monarch ATB which can be had for right around that price. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Nikons in the past? How is their warranty and was it a problem if something went wrong?

Thanks again!

I meant 10X42EL. I think they are the best binos I've ever looked through.

When did this happen? I had a pair of Steiner Senators that all the armor coating fell off. I sent them in to look at em to see how much it would cost to resurface. They told me that they'd send me a reconditioned pair for a small fee. We guess what they sent? A low quality military marine pair that were cross up inside. Talk about eye strain. I called up a pitched a bitch with them. They had another pair of Night hunters that they had reconditioned. so they sent them to me. The bino's are ok but the eye cups have been replaced several times and it cost like $40 each time. They should warranty it but don't. I would go Swarovski all the way.

About 2 years ago

Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys. I really appreciate it. I've talked it over with the other half and she said I could spend around $300 or so for Father's Day. I really like the Nikon Monarch ATB which can be had for right around that price. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Nikons in the past? How is their warranty and was it a problem if something went wrong?

Thanks again!

Guppie, I had a pair of 5 year old Nikons that fell out of my tree stand and fractured a prism. They were still darn clear but I noticed it was cracked by looking into the objective end and saw the fracture line. They replaced them with a new updated model, no charge. Nikon has a great customer service and the no-fault warranty. If you drove over you binos with your truck they would replace them without even calling you a dumb ass... But us guys here?;)

Funny you mention Nikon. My dad was charged $40 to fix his 8x42 ATBs plus shipping costs. The lenses were out of alignment, they acused him of dropping them on a hard surface, he said he coudn't remember dropping them at all... who knows how they got messed up. All I know is I won't be buying anything made by them again. This was 2 or 3 years ago.

Funny you mention Nikon. My dad was charged $40 to fix his 8x42 ATBs plus shipping costs. The lenses were out of alignment, they acused him of dropping them on a hard surface, he said he coudn't remember dropping them at all... who knows how they got messed up. All I know is I won't be buying anything made by them again. This was 2 or 3 years ago.
What was the warrenty on them? I thought the no fault warranty was across the board?

"Nikon Binoculars are also backed by an industry leading No-Fault warranty. If anything happens to your Nikon Binoculars - even if it is your fault - that is not covered by Nikon's 25 year warranty, Nikon will fix or replace your binoculars for just $10! This combination of superior optics, highest quality materials, and the best warranty in the industry make Nikon Binoculars the "Trusted Name In Optics"."

I bought them brand new from Bear Basin, sent in the registration card myself. And yes 25 year warrenty. Last I checked there are numberous companies that offer lifetime warrenties. ;)

combination of "superior optics"
riiighhht.

Of the companies with "lifetime warrenties" how many will replace nearly the entire bionoculars when the only requested repair is the eyecup? I'm sold on the Swarovskis... you guys keep arguing over the second rate crap. :D

I bought them brand new from Bear Basin, sent in the registration card myself. And yes 25 year warrenty. Last I checked there are numberous companies that offer lifetime warrenties. ;)

all right, explain why he was charged 40$ for the no fault warrenty?

Another thing about the Steiners is that there are different binoculars sold in the US and the rest of the world. I bought my wife a pair of Steiners in Germany last year and that particular model has never been sold in the US. They're an entirely different glass. These were 10X26 compacts and unbeleivably clear. The price wasn't too bad on them but I did buy them in Frankfurt, Germany too.

all right, explain why he was charged 40$ for the no fault warrenty?

You tell me. They put the blame on him and sent him a bill. I don't think Nikon has had the "No fault" warranty for that long? I know I will never buy anything from them again.

If you can spend a few extra hundred dollars, Vortex makes superior optics to Nikon.

KP

Funny thing is, the lower end Nikons (under 400$) are probably made by the same company in china.... My original nikons were Jap, and the replacement were China. The replacements were clearer, but 5 years newer and newer coatings used. I talked with the rep from Vortex and he said his binos were made in China by the same company that makes a lot of the big names as well under contract. He said only one factory there made the better quality stuff so my bet is that any good glass with a brand name, made in China are from the same place. Kind of like I found out that one company in S. Korea make a major portion of all the tents sold.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back