Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Optics for my folks

MThuntr

My folks's 40th anniversary is at the end of the month and I want to get them something that they'd actually use. They have everything for camping but I noticed they lack quality optics for their camping/sightseeing trips. I know they have an old school pair of Bushnell binos but that's it. Nearly everything they do is within 1/2 mile or from the vehicle so I was thinking a nice pair of 10x50 binos or possibly Theron Saker spotter.

I'm already covering about 1/2 of the party costs so I'd like to keep things to less than $300...Any suggestions?

A little over budget would be fine...if I would have kept my mouth shut and had not offered to basically split the bill on a giant catered BBQ I could have easily spent double.

It is completely under your prefered quality, but I got my folks a pair of bushnell permafocus 10x50. Its ok for their sightseeing and they actually use them because they dont have to adjust the diopter or fumble with the focus. Did the same thing for the kids last year in Yellowstone and they finally could see some of the stuff instead of getting frustrated.

I know its not exactly what you asked, just giving a different perspective depending on their proficiency with binos.

I'd lean towards good binos as they are easier to use and for times they are away from the vehicle. The Leupold Yosemite's are a very good value IMO. I (or Santa) got each of my sons a pair for Xmas. Very good for what they cost. I'd not be bashfull about pm'ing schmalts and seeing what he has in stock for his Wapiti line. Looks like you could get 2 pair of LTs for your budget, which is what I'd probably suggest. And get them in 10X. IMO/E folks that don't use glass a lot are impressed by higher Xs.

If you decide to go with the spotter, the Saker is the best one I've looked at in your price range. Be sure to get them a decent tripod and window mount.

Thanks guys, I'll shoot Schmalts a message and see what he has to say. His website says he has 1 pair of Wapiti EDs in stock.

Otherwise judging from the reviews the Zen Ray ED3s seems to be a good choice. I just got an email from Cameraland saying they are running a 10% sale on new and demo products (excludes open boxes and certain high end spotters) so I'll have to investigate that some more.

Found a deal this morning...Zeiss Terra HD 10x42 camo for $349 shipped with a $50 rebate at MidwayUSA.

I would have preferred to go through Schmalts but luckily I have a bunch of projects always needing optics.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back