Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

opinions wanted on electrical hookup options

Dave N

Hey guys, The wife and I recently bought a bit of property in Alaska and I have a couple choices for electrical set-ups I would like any opinions on. Property has all of the utilities on-site from a previous house that was removed. We have a small dry cabin there that is wired for electric. We have decided to clean up the place, make it livable and flip it. Money invested is a concern but we'll do what we need to make it more "sellable".

Option 1. Install the meter and related 110 wiring to connect the cabin, plus add a 220 wire to run to the well pump (with a control box) to be able to use the well for a water supply. Trenching not included, dirt work has $500 minimum with 4 hours included.

Option 2. Install a 200 amp box to the cabin exterior, install the meter and well control box, connect the well and cabin. Appears like trenching is included for this option.

Option 2 is meant for having a supply ready for a future house to be built, just tie it in. Option 1 is meant for just getting the cabin hooked up.

So, going by this, the difference in price as I see it now would be about $500 between the two choices, depending on total trench work for option 1 More trenching would close the gap. Would having the 200 amp service already on site be that much more appealing than just electric to the cabin itself? Trying to keep costs down as I said, but if $500 would make a huge difference in making the place more interesting to a buyer we could go ahead and do it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. We're heading up next week to do some work and get as much done as we can.

It is all going to depend on what the potential buyer is looking for. If they want a small cabin and have no plans to make any improvements to it then Option 1 would be fine.

If they ever plan on adding on or adding some type of power hungry appliance then the 110 circuit isn't going to run a whole lot in the future.

You have to decide what the potential buyer would be willing to pay. Having option 2 might only cost you $500 now, but if they were someone that really was going to need a 200 amp panel at their house then it would save them a lot more than $500 down the road, they would have to pay full price to get it done.

My personal vote would be not to cheap out now on something that you would essentially have to pay double for if you needed the bigger power in the future, but I would probably have a hard time flipping a house at a profit.

Yep, pretty much the way I was leaning. Why skimp when a fairly small investment could make a big difference. The property does have a view of Denali so building a house there is a pretty good option. For someone else, though!

Thanks!

Mark that down as a marketing feature of the place when it is time to flip it though. "I went ahead and ran a 200 amp service in here so you won't have to worry about that in the future. That cost me more, but will save you $X,XXX in the future."

Well, it was about $1000 difference between the two. Trenching was NOT included. We went ahead and told him to go for it. Figured it would be ready for anything this way. With the plans we have for improvements to the land and cabin it should write up pretty good. Of course, whatever way we went we still are at the mercy of MEA and what they decide to charge to hook up power to the place! One other option if the place won't sell is to haul in a double wide for a permanent style home and hook EVERYTHING up. Next week we'll have to go sign up for service and see what they decide for a hookup fee. About the only big thing to do besides cleaning, clearing some brush, etc. will be digging and building an outhouse. Taking the 4th off for a play day. Have plans to go to the car launch and see what that's all about. Thanks for the replies. I kind of knew what I preferred, but sometimes it helps having others confirm your thoughts.

It depends on the interests of the potential buyer, but I think that it is worth it to be done better. The best thing to do is to contact an electrician, that is specialized in this field, and I am sure he will know 100% what to do and how to do it. Yes, it is not for free, but at least you will know for sure that you did your best. Actually, bates-electric.com here you can find some cool electricians, that will help you for sure. Furthermore, they have different promotions and bonuses, who knows maybe you'll get one too.

Last edited:
What ampacity is option 1? In all honesty 200a is more power than most houses in America use. The only justifiable reason for that size is electric heat and got water in most cases.

Now, the NEC does require sizing based of numerous factors of a house. If it were me, I'd pay the extra for 200a service. That will cover any house possible, minus a true mansion which usually has dual 200a services...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back