Opinions on Bino's

Lots of opinions on binos. :) You should be able to do well for $500.

Probably as true as anything else said. I am sure if you ended up with: Leupold, Vortex, Zen-Ray, Nikon, Minox, Steiner, Cabela's, ect. you will be pretty happy. I would conitnue to encourage that you look through and handle as many as possible, and try and do so outside, rather than inside the store. While optical clarity and light transmission should probably be your top priority, but all being equal you might find you like the ergonomics on one pair better than another as well.

I've been very happy with the 8x32 Burris Signature Select binos. I think they're discontinued now, but Natchez still has a few pair. They're in the $250 range. They're better than the 10 x 42 Leica's that got left in the truck...

My two cents:

Bought a pair of Nikon Monarchs several years ago for 250, on sale at local shop. Decided to upgrade last year and went in with a budget similar to yours. I looked through lots of binos--that's the key phrase, I set them multiple brands side by side with my Monarchs and compared them all, in different shops. I ended up with a pair of Vortex Viper HDs, for 600. I think they are great binos, heads and tails better than my old Monarchs and while not as bright as Swaros, not an 1100-1400 dollar difference. They are built really well, solid but not too heavy. The other thing that really sold me on the Vortex was the warranty. Anything happens, send them in and they'll fix it for you, no fuss. I like that kind of thing. I hate buying expensive gear and then always worrying about it when I'm out in the field. I put a lot of hours on those binos last fall, and they were a good investment.

I think because everyone's eyes are a little different, binos/optics are very subjective, so make sure you physically look through the binos and compare some different ones before you put money down. When I was doing my comparisons, I had the salesclerks take the different brands outside and we looked through them. At each store, everyone seemed to have a different opinion on what was best/brightest/sharpest. It's tempting to find the best deal online and go with that, but you really want the best binos for your eyes. Good luck.

Nikon monarch 10x42 or 12x42....very good glass about 300 bucks , if you pay 1200 or 1000 bucks your glass will not be three or four times better. Just my opinion

I looked through a lot of glass before I made my choice and the choice was Cabela's Euro 10X42 made by Meopta. Been on many hunts, never failed and never fogged up in rain or snow. Shop around, you may be able to find a deal on some used or check the Bargain Cave.

I have a pair of the Redfield 10x42's and absolutely love them. I think for the price $135 they are the best buy for the money. And they are backed by a lifetime warranty. My .02.

Good point - I'll try to get down to see them!

Cameraland carries Vortex and Zen-Ray, as well as others like Minox, Meopta, and Nikon. All of those companies have binos in the $500 range and Doug and Neil are super nice guys to deal with. Not that much farther of a drive from Brookfield to the CIty compared to Cabelas in E. Hartford.

Not to mention, they know their stuff when it comes to glass. Not that they guy behind the counter at Cabelas doesn't, but he probably doesn't go to the SHOT show and other events throughout the year.

It's hard to compare binos in good light. If you really want to see differences compare them in very low light--early dawn, late dusk.

i dont know how you guys,and the ladys hunt,but i hunt hard and rough,my bino get wet,droped,layed on,scraped on rocks,trees,i get food on them,dust,sand,blood,i dont sleep with them on,but the rest of my waking hours while hunting i am wearing them,so there is no way in double tooth picks im going to spend 1000.00 or more on binos,200.00 at most,just my oppinion.:cool:

i dont know how you guys,and the ladys hunt,but i hunt hard and rough,my bino get wet,droped,layed on,scraped on rocks,trees,i get food on them,dust,sand,blood,i dont sleep with them on,but the rest of my waking hours while hunting i am wearing them,so there is no way in double tooth picks im going to spend 1000.00 or more on binos,200.00 at most,just my oppinion.:cool:

I've been through 3-4 sets of $200 binos through the years. Until I did spent the big $ on a set. Now I've been 9 years on my current set and they are still 100 times better than any $200 set straight out of the box.

And I do sleep with them.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago. The best bang for your buck in the sub $500 range is gonna be either Zen Ray EDs or Theron Wapiti HDs. Viper HD is gonna cost you about $600 but I doubt you'll see much difference from the Zens or Theron.

I got the Theron...Schmalts gave me a good deal!

Probably as true as anything else said. I am sure if you ended up with: Leupold, Vortex, Zen-Ray, Nikon, Minox, Steiner, Cabela's, ect. you will be pretty happy. I would conitnue to encourage that you look through and handle as many as possible, and try and do so outside, rather than inside the store. While optical clarity and light transmission should probably be your top priority, but all being equal you might find you like the ergonomics on one pair better than another as well.

Perfectly said. I've never looked at Zen's but heard good things. A guy named Dan here in Boise with hunthardcore.com offers sending a pair to look at with your credit card to hold. He is a diy guy that gives honest advice. I am not affiliated with him whatsoever, just seen him mention the offer on another site and thought it could be helpful. I've been happy with my dielectric monarch's and honestly amazed at the $90 8x30 leupold yosemite porro's for my son.

You know, the quality of optics in the sub-$500 range has really gotten so good that optic wise there are only small differences between them. Most differences are cosmetic or ergonomics. A good portion of them are made in the same factories and use the same optical elements with little or no changes. I go to the SHOT show and deal with the OEM manufactures there and I can tell you it is very interesting to see who they are dealing and having appointments with. Many are big brand names (including some German based companies) and are dealing with the same place used to make goods like the Theron products.
Go for what looks like it performs well, then look at value and ergonomics and design. Don't get sucked into buzz words that are used to describe the same thing others call something else like PrimeED-HD-Floritus-optimus maxxis.... A lot of price for an item is spent on advertising and a logos when it come to the sub-$500 binos more than anything. Because of that, a few of companies mentioned are doing well in the bino market because they sell for less and advertise even less and go by word of mouth.
In the end, you will get something that will last a long time if they are cared for well and should be reliable as the more expensive brands because, well they are made with the same materials most of the time. I talked with one of the bigger distributors and we had a good conversation about how he was amazed one branded bino got a terrible review from a well known sounce and another brand name got raves for what he knows was the same binocular with different rubber molded covers and logos. He knew because he was the supplier for both companies. (no I will not name names)
I am also of the opinion that guys who will only hunt in the eastern part of the country have far less need of the real high end binos. Tree stand, heavy wooded and farm field hunters just don't need that tiny extra in image that you would need glassing up to and over a couple miles away out west in dry air. Nothing wrong with buying them, but I wouldnt own them myself if I never left Wisconsin, and I do own both.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago. The best bang for your buck in the sub $500 range is gonna be either Zen Ray EDs or Theron Wapiti HDs. Viper HD is gonna cost you about $600 but I doubt you'll see much difference from the Zens or Theron.

I got the Theron...Schmalts gave me a good deal!

Let us know what you think of them when you get them!

Hey guys - got my Theron Wapiti APO-ED's on Friday, broke them out of the packaging on Saturday and HOLY SMOKES - they are awesome! Crystal clear glassing at dawn and gathered plenty of light as well. No skewing at the edges of these things. I am very Happy with them and look forward to dragging them along to Wyoming!!! Picked them up from Predator optics, Pat's great and coudln't have offered better service even if he wanted to!!!! Great glass and great guy!

Let us know what you think of them when you get them!

Sorry I missed the request for feedback earlier....I've had them for 2 years and don't regret it at all. I really put them to use last year antelope hunting and will again this year in NV Deer hunting.

I got some Minox HG 8X43 through the post today, not sure what you pay for them over in the US but i was dumbstruck how good the optics were.
Cant wait to use them in the field in fading light.
Cheers
Richard

I got some Minox HG 8X43 through the post today, not sure what you pay for them over in the US but i was dumbstruck how good the optics were.
Cant wait to use them in the field in fading light.
Cheers
Richard

They are superb devon. I sold mine to a close friend when I took the swaro plunge.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back