Opinion for .280 Rem bullet weight

brokfut

I want some advice please. My primary rifle for all large game hunting is a 30-338 wildcat and my secondary or backup rifle is a .280 Remington.
What, in your opinion would be the optimum bullet weight for the 280 as a mule deer/elk thumper?
confused.gif

I'd give the 140 Triple Shock from Barnes a try. Less recoil, High BC, and should even out penetrate a 160gr Partition. Here's a pic of one that was fired into a pine log out of a 7mm SAUM at about 2960fps:
054877.jpg

If they didn't shoot good enough, I'd try the new Nosler Accubond. Much better BC than a Partition, and penetrates nearly as well, so I've read.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-07-2003 10:41: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

I'd use the 150 gr Nosler Partition with a healthy dose of IMR4831. The Barnes X 140 gr would work as well if you don't mind the extra barrel cleaning work.
elkgrin.gif

All good advice. I think I'll just spend a lot of time working up different loads with premium bullets and see what shoots the best. I am of the opinion that any of the premium bullets will do a good job if I can put them where they are suppose to go. I spent months working on a load for my 25-06 and finally got a Hornady 117 gr BTSP to shoot an honost three shot .376 inch group at 100 meters. I hope I can get just close to that with my 280.

My 280 shoots the 140 gr. Nosler Partition well with RL19 and that's what I use for the deer sized game I hunt. I use 160 gr Partitions for elk, but I've always thought about just using the 150 gr. Partition for everything. Shave 10 grains off a 160 gr. bullet and see if you think that's going to make much difference. Anytime guys debate the differences in bullet weights shave 10 grains off a bullet and show them what they're talking about.
biggrin.gif

I use Partitions because they've performed great for me for 25 years, although some other bullets are slightly more accurate in my guns. Anytime I can get a group less than 1 inch with Partitions at good velocities I'm happy with that load. That's plenty good for hunting. If I were starting all over again I'd probably experiment with all the new bullets, but I have so much confidence in Partition's killing ability I'd probably take a 1 inch group with Partitions over a 3/4 inch group with most other bullets. That confidence is the result of actual situations where I'm sure other bullets wouldn't have done as good a job as my Partitions did. Confidence is a great thing when you're shooting.

I have had great success with barnes x 140 grain on both deer and elk.

I also like particians in the same weight.

My 280 perfered the 140's over 160's. I got consistant sub 1" groups.

Give the Hornady 154g Interbonds a try, they are heavy enough for Elk and would do well for Deer. Being a bonded core bullet, they will hold together eventhough they are a polymer tipped bullet. I shoot these out of my 7mm Rem Mag and they shoot quite well.
Dano

One of the most productive strategies for hunting mule deer is to walk the south facing slope of a canyon and glass the north facing slope across from you. If the canyon is 300 or 400 yards wide, it follows that your shot would be 400 or 500 yards.

That's not hunting?

cool.gif

We make a 127gr 7mm caliber bullet that would work great out of your 280. I got a report back a couple of weeks ago from a hunter in Oregon that hunted elk in Idaho with his 7mm RUM. He killed the elk at 537 yards with one shot. The bullet went all the way through.

I doubt any elk will stop the 127gr EXP Groove Bullet out of your 280.

He also killed a mule deer at 524 yards on the same hunt. Again, one shot and the bullet exited.

Groove Bullets shoot very accurately.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaky:
We make a 127gr 7mm caliber bullet that would work great out of your 280. I got a report back a couple of weeks ago from a hunter in Oregon that hunted elk in Idaho with his 7mm RUM. He killed the elk at 537 yards with one shot. The bullet went all the way through.

I doubt any elk will stop the 127gr EXP Groove Bullet out of your 280.

He also killed a mule deer at 524 yards on the same hunt. Again, one shot and the bullet exited.

Groove Bullets shoot very accurately.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This bullet sounds like a winner!

rimshot

Blue Collar Shooter Magazine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members