Opening morning gender neutral success.

ZMT588

Found this guy 3 days ago. Had him patterned out pretty well. Hiked in before light and watched him and 4 other bucks for about 2 hours this morning. Wasn’t really planning on filling my tag opening morning. Told myself if he gives me an easy opportunity I’ll take it. Didn’t want to chase him and blow him out in case my wife wanted to shoot him. Him and about 25-30 other deer disappeared behind a rise that’s on my way out. Used some elevation in the terrain to keep covered and made my way towards them. When I got to where I wanted to shoot they had moved to 250yds directly in front of me. They didn’t know I was there but the wind was all ****y swirling around. All these deer walked single file down this game trail in front of me. Got on the rifle zoomed in and found the buck I was looking for. Now when I glassed him up before I didn’t know he was velvet. Otherwise he probably would’ve got a pass. Set the crosshairs on him saw he was velvet, the thought “I’ve always wanted to shoot a buck in velvet” came in my head. Boom. And the rest you can figure out.

It’s 2021 people. Clearly this buck was having an identity crisis cause he ain’t got no nuts! Explains the velvet in late October. He had a sac where his nuts should be but nothing filling them. Maybe he was in the middle of transitioning. Who knows.

I’m more than happy with him/her for a first Muley buck.

Attachments

• 1A46DE6D-2C38-4CE5-AD79-3371A6AC6A4A.jpeg
    1A46DE6D-2C38-4CE5-AD79-3371A6AC6A4A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 135
  • 636F0000-1013-4465-9A8A-193B9ADAA6DE.png
    636F0000-1013-4465-9A8A-193B9ADAA6DE.png
    3 MB · Views: 134
Cool! And congrats on a great buck.

My first buck suffered from the same misfortune–apparently called cryptorchidism. I chatted with the district bio after taking him and apparently it's way more common than I thought.

Cool! And congrats on a great buck.

My first buck suffered from the same misfortune–apparently called cryptorchidism. I chatted with the district bio after taking him and apparently it's way more common than I thought.
I knew about the condition but didn’t know the name. I took him to the game check and the bios assumed it was EHD until I showed them pictures of his empty coin purse. My moms chihuahua has a bigger scrot than this guy

Interesting! Apparently it's common in WA - to the tune of one or two reported by hunters every couple years.

Yep Igot one too. no nuts. I figured he caught them on a fence or something. Last week of October and still in velvet. Its a great trophy. Get Shim mounted of you can.
Any ideas on how to mount and keep the velvet?

Is it super woke or super unwoke to shoot a gender-neutral buck in 2021? Not sure what the politics are on that. Either way, congratulations on a cool buck.
I’m super woke now. I’m going to ask the deer what they identify as before shooting them from now on.

Saw a great buck in Idaho this last weekend, same deal. He was in the 170s and I didn’t have a deer tag…… such a bummer

Medium rare!? What, do you put ketchup on it, too?
giphy.gif

I wonder if I eat him if my body will start changing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back