MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opening Day

BucksnDucks

It always seems to sneak up on me, it's 100 degrees today. Believe it or not the opening day of archery deer season in the California OTC A-zone is tomorrow .

Reactions: LCH
It always seems to sneak up on me, it's 100 degrees today. Believe it or not the opening day of archery deer season in the California OTC A-zone is tomorrow .
Are the deer horns even fully grown yet wow seems early

It's a velvet hunt for sure. I believe most bucks are at or very close to full potential. They will usually shed the velvet, but not always by the general opener a month from now.

A zone blacktails drop their fawns in March - April, so they come into the rut end of Sept. Velvet is usually gone by end of July. Will be down for the rifle season.

Reactions: LCH
Thats hard to imagine. The earliest I have deer hunted is Sept 15. Mid July would be hard for me to get excited about. Are you planning to hunt this early?

If you're closer to the ocean it's cooler. I hunt in the Mendocino NF at 3000' on a large north slope. Afternoon ocean breeze nearly always blows 15-25 mph. A zone runs about 300 miles long along the coast. Hotter further south. Usually stays in to 80's and can get into the 40's for lows. I love hunting my area. Discovered it the mid 1980's. Haven't hunted it in 4 seasons. Killed a few with my rifle - missed a few with my bow.

Last edited:
The A zone is huge. The coastal areas are generally cool (fog ocean breeze) in summer but inland hunts are scorchers. I don't have a tag for that area this season, won't be out until b zone (also hot in august). Best of luck fowl hunter, from what I've seen in the last few years the herd in the Mendo is doing a little better after a few seasons of good rain. It will be interesting to see what the burn areas look like.

I been toying with applying in zone B for a couple years now... every time I look at the dates I'm like holy smokes that's early... any idea why fish and game choose those dates?

My deer hunt here in NV starts August 10th. 100 degrees today as well.

Archery antelope and cow elk, and depredation hunts open August 1st.

I prefer hunting in August, September, and no later than about the 10th of October. Then predator hunting from there.

Back