Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Opening Day Blunder in MT

beartoothhiker

We all love hearing about the successful hunts, but there is also good learning opportunities from those of us that make mistakes. I was bow hunting last weekend (opening morning for elk archery in MT) with my 18 year old daughter in central Montana on public land. We walked less than a couple miles from the truck. I had her sit at the top of a small draw with some water in it and I walked about 30yrds up the hill. After about 30 minutes I decided to just sit down with my back against a tree - bow across lap (getting the picture here? :)). Sun was coming up and all was quiet. And then - yeah, you know it - a very heavy 5x5 bull comes into clearing ahead of me and is walking directly to me. I have nothing between me and him other than a small aspen so I freeze (bow across lap) and he continues to walk directly at me. At 10yds (just to my right) he spooks and jogs back to 20 yds (broadside) and I'm still frozen. He then starts walking away from me so I jump up and chirp a cow call. He stops at 40yds broadside as I try and get an arrow out - then he is gone. This all happened in less than 60 seconds.
  • Always be ready and expect and elk to show up - probably some life lessons in here too, right? - if I would have been standing I would have had a shot at 10yds, 20yds, or 40yds.
  • Be aware of where you are positioned - I had my daughter in a very good position in a stand of trees 30yrds above the water/trail; I took my position 2 yrds off a well used game trail - I should have been off the trail and the bull would have walked by me instead of directly at me.
  • The next couple of days whenever we stopped to sit for a while, an arrow was out of the quiver and nocked.
  • In replaying the situation, I should have anticipated him spooking as he got closer and I should have taken that opportunity to jump up and get an arrow out.
  • Everyone I have relayed the story to in person that bow hunts simply smiled and said "yeah, heard that before" or "happened to me once".
I'm still learning archery hunting and love it~

I was hunting in Idaho with a friend sitting on a log we were getting something to eat and he pulls a old Larry jones elk call from out of his pack prob been in their 10 yrs blows it once or twice and says he never liked the way it sounded hardly had it out of his mouth when a rag horn bulls explodes out of the bushes behind us skidding to a stop abt 10 yrds when he sees us. And exploded out of the area just as fast, all I said was well I think he sure liked the sound lol
Ya always gots to be ready

Not that unusual. I would hardly call it a screw up. I thought I was never going to kill an elk. Before I killed my first one with a bow, I must have had 20 good chances. Of course, before rangefinders, drop away rests, carbon arrows, releases, and bows you can draw back for over a minute, it was a little more difficult. Ha!

I still day to this day I have had more opportunities missed with my pants around my ankles than anything else. Wether it was changing out of long underwear, changing a pants layer, or dropping a deuce…. I have learned you always need to be ready.

My partner and I were sitting 15 yds apart listening to the elk down the creek (they never came our way)opening weekend here in Montana. I had my bow sitting on my lap arrow nocked intent on what was in front of me and then I hear my partner whisper my name. As soon as I hear it I hear running behind me. I jumped up and watched a a beautiful massive 5 point whitetail mtn buck stop at 60 yds. I never even heard him and he didn't know we were there until my partner whispered my name. So yes happens to us all lol.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back