Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Oops! Need advice.

The bit broke off and is stuck in the head? If so, I would take a small flathead screwdriver or punch and tap the broken bit in the opposite direction (looks like it needs to go clockwise) to see if the head will let go.

Could also try a small drill bit in the center of the broken bit to see if that will give enough bite to break it free

Personally, I would put the action in a bridgeport and use a counter clockwise carbide end mill until I was able to either "bore" the tool out of there or back out the screw.

DONT use a regular clockwise cutting direction (drill or endmill) because it will only make the screw going into your receiver get tighter.

I assume that you broke this tool off while trying to get the screw out of the action.

Kroil or heat and an ez out (screw extractor). You’ll likely want a drill press to drill the hole for the ez out.

If I'm seeing it correctly, you broke the torx bit off in the head of the screw? If that's the case I'd probably try drilling the end of the bit with a standard drill bit and if it doesn't loosen during drilling you can try an easy out and go from there. Snap on makes a great easy out set

Last edited:
Trying to avoid the drill press. Pretty tight in there, turning it upside down didn’t do the trick. May try a Dremil and bit then a micro screwdriver.
Project for tomorrow!

Don't buy harbor freight bits next time. :LOL: Sorry, I have done the same thing before. Took it to a smith and he worked his magic.

Don't buy harbor freight bits next time. :LOL: Sorry, I have done the same thing before. Took it to a smith and he worked his magic.
Not Harbor junk! Son didn’t have a torque wrench when he mounted the scope. Snug is good, crank it down cause TIGHT is better.

I sheared one off in a Mark V action that the prior owner had used Loktite on. I had to drill into it then used the smallest easy out I could find. Fortunately removed it with no mar to the finish of the rifle.

Tap it in the opposite direction with a tip of a nail. That should loosen it. Other thing is take a 8 penny nail and grind the tip off. JB weld it to the torx bit tip then tap it to knock it loose.

Magnet. Bet one of those that are on an expandable rod such as used by mechanics to be able to reach into tight areas to retrieve bolts, nuts, washers and such would be perfect.

MAGNET!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back