onXmaps chip and app membership combo

rideold

Just received an email from onX that says for the cost of a yearly membership I get both the app and the chip updates. I think I pay $30 every year to update my chip and for the same cost I can use the app too. I've been curious to try the app but wasn't going to pay for that separate from the chip update because I prefer my 64S in the field. I wonder if this spells the twilight years for the chip though. Give us both now and then phase out the chip as more get used to the app?

Hope not. Love OnXmaps but I haven't had great experiences with the app but maybe they have gotten some of the bugs out. I'm kind of old school though and really prefer my GPS unit.

I tried the app last year and did not have good luck with it. I prefer my trusty GPS.

I don't see them moving away from chips. They cost pennies themselves and the software can't be all that different to import to other platforms. With as a large of a GPS market it wouldn't make sense to cut it out. I think it doesn't really cost them much to offer the all with the upgrade with the hopes of selling another product down the line.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back