One less Cabinet Yaak Bear.

44hunter45

Yogi developed a taste for sheep. I'm still trying to decide where I am on the Hobby Farmer vs Grizzly bear debate.

The Nature Conservancy has been working on conservation easements in that area to provide corridors for grizzlies and also reduce further development. I have a map somewhere, there are some two pretty solid blocks of private land further south in the valley that provide corridors. I was up there with a group in May looking at a property close to Porthill as it is the last corridor they want to finish up. But it sounds like everyone (private landowners, local NC guy, IDFG managers) involved over the last 20 yrs is aging out and it might not get completed. The one old farmer in the valley said he would rather have grizzlies than see more <10 acre ranchettes on the "bench".

After seeing the impact hobby farmers have had on some wild sheep populations in MT, I'd vote to make them illegal near sheep habitat in a heartbeat. There have even been couple cases of people bringing in diseased domestics to intentionally harm wild sheep herds to "get back" at FWP for some perceived harm they caused them.

After seeing the impact hobby farmers have had on some wild sheep populations in MT, I'd vote to make them illegal near sheep habitat in a heartbeat. There have even been couple cases of people bringing in diseased domestics to intentionally harm wild sheep herds to "get back" at FWP for some perceived harm they caused them.
Ive never heard that, were they criminally prosecuted?

Ive never heard that, were they criminally prosecuted?
Nope, nothing illegal about it currently no matter what the motive was.

Some old posts discussing the those instances for your reading pleasure. Coincidence or not, but both of these "ranchers" are also outfitters.

You realize most of the sheep habitat is all the western US? I agree that backyard/hobby farmers are a problem for wildlife but the "make it illegal" mindset drives me nuts. Disclaimer, I don't own hobby farm animals.

You realize most of the sheep habitat is all the western US? I agree that backyard/hobby farmers are a problem for wildlife but the "make it illegal" mindset drives me nuts. Disclaimer, I don't own hobby farm animalsT

Of course I do. Read what I wrote again, it says "near sheep habitat".

Nope, nothing illegal about it currently no matter what the motive was.

Some old posts discussing the those instances for your reading pleasure. Coincidence or not, but both of these "ranchers" are also outfitters.

Thanks for the reading material. The older I get, the less I believe in coincidence.

Back