one day catch on the trapline

huntinfool5

Here's our catch from the other morning in Oklahoma, this is the best morning we've had so far but have been catching plenty of critters to keep me and my nephew busy. Hope our good fortune continues the rest of the season. Love to catch those cats$$$$$$$

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 757
Hey huntinfool5, Nice catch and those cats look awesome.

I couldn't help but notice you shoot the animals in the head. For the last 7-8 years I have gotten away from shooting my catches, especially cats. I use a 4' catch pole and choke them out. Cats choke out unbelievably fast. The best part is there is no blood. I still pack a 22 pistol with me but very seldom use it unless I get a toe catch.

Attachments

• 1 cat (Small).JPG
    1 cat (Small).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 2 cat (Small).JPG
    2 cat (Small).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 539
  • 3 cat (Small).JPG
    3 cat (Small).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 520
I don't have a video, but it is really easy. Basically you just set the loop over their head and pull it tight. The cats don't move around much and are pretty easy to get ahold of. Foxes and coyotes will try to bob and weave the loop but not cats so much. cats usually go right out in less than 10 seconds.

Congrats! I love the spots on those western cats. My boy and I caught our second legal and intentional cat about a week ago. The PGC opened up the season to all furtakers in most areas last year. Needless to say we're still learning about cats. Do you have a favorite cat set or lure?

I agree with the choke pole. Videos are a problem as they can be used against us by "antis"...but if you go on youtube you will find a couple videos of lion releases using a choke pole that demonstrates just have fast a cat chokes out. Assuming a good pad catch just tighten, remove from trap, and set to the side. In the time it takes to complete the remake the cat will have expired. If you find the catchpole to be too cumbersome or bulky...you can use the "Alaskan lynx technique"...throw a snare loop around its neck, tighten, run a stick through the loop/swivel at opposite end and apply pressure for a few minutes.

Great catch on those cats.I too would recommend a catch pole for cats and other unwanted critters that you need to release or just not want.We use catch poles alot for live market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back