Caribou Gear Tarp

One Bino For Everything?

farmerboy1381

I am preparing for my first western hunt this fall, I am planning on chasing archery mule deer above timberline in Colorado. I have saved a bit of a hunting budget and I am thinking I am going to spend most of it on a good pair of binoculars (smart idea?). Forgive me if this question has been beat to death but I couldn't find anything quite like it on this forum with google search or the search function. If I buy upper mid range glass ($1000ish) I really would not want to have to buy another pair to Elk or Antelope hunt with if I could avoid it. So if you could choose between buying one size bino for all these three and spending around a grand or spending 500 on one size and 500 on another size which would be the better option? If you stick to one should it be 8,10,or 12 power? I have a Bushnell Elite Spotter 15-45 that I got a good deal on a bit ago that I will pair with whatever I buy.

I am leaning toward the Cabela's Euro HD 10x42 made by Meopta any thoughts?

I would get a pair of 10x42, and I would see if I could find a used pair of Swaro SLCs before I got something new.

8x are great if you pair them with a spotter or in more timbered areas, 12x can almost impossible to free hand and kinda be a bit cumbersome in a chest harness.

10x42 is my vote as well. I hunt Idaho, Montana, and sometimes Oregon depending on my budget. I've found 10x42 has been the best all around size for me. I did get a pair of 12x42 last year and agree they're difficult to use free hand but on a tripod they are great. If I had it to do over again I'd of spent more on the 10x42 binos and spotting scope and skipped the 12x binos completely.

Another vote for 10x42.

Buy the best glass you can. You'll thank yourself in the future. It sucks having to replace second rate gear and having a pile of stuff you don't use and thinking of all that money wasted.

One thing I've never heard people mention, but I will. Weight matters. Heavy is a little steadier - maybe. But My Leicas are way heavier than they need to be. Don't forget to consider weight.

Glad you posted these questions because I'm in a similar position. I'm considering the Maven B2 11x45s. Anyone have any input as to whether this would be a good do-it-all pair? I mostly glass off a tripod.

I use a pair of 10X32 Vortex Raptors. But i live on the east coast, and have a very limited budget.
I was originally planning on an elk hunt in Colorado this year, but it isn't going to happen this year.

Leupold makes some fine glass. Just wish i could afford it.

I guess I'm old school but I am still carrying a pair of 10x50. I was going to buy a new pair of 10x42 but never pulled the trigger just seems there is something I need worse than another pair of binoculars.
The only thing wrong with 10x50 is they are not light.
I my self would not spent $1000 on a pair of binoculars because they take a beating from bouncing off the dash board of the truck to the floor to using them for a rifle rest laying prone yea that's how my last pair got ruined. :(

My next pair will most likely be Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 around $ 500

Last edited:
I use the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. They work very well for me and I feel is a good bang for your buck. I have been very happy with mine and only plan on replacing them after I get a good spotting scope and some 15x binos.

For $1000 I'd be buying used Zeiss T* FL, or new Meopta Meostars. One good pair of binos that jive with your eyes is all you need, 8x vs 10x doesn't matter all that much compared to sharp glass IMO.

Get a used pair of swaro slc or even a used pair of vortex razor had in 10x42. Also important is to be able to throw them on and off of a tripod. She sure you can switch from spotter to binos fast and steady and you’ll be amazed at how much better binos are on a tripod as opposed to your hand.

As Stubaby pointed out, putting your binos on a tripod will let you see a lot more detail. I mainly use binos, but my combo is a Leupold GR 12-40x60 spotter and Leica 10x42 binos.

Magnification is a personal choice as each person is different, specifically on how still they can hold binocular free hand.

More magnification is not always better, you are giving up brightness and FOV with more magnification.

I'd recommend trying a lot of binos in your price range from the 8x42 - 10x50 range. You will figure out what you like doing head to head comparisons.

I own a mid range pair of Leupold 10x42's that has done very well for me. I was thinking of getting a spotting scope, but then I bought an adaptor for my binos, so I can mount them on a tripod and never looked back.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back