Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

On-X Question: Sharing Waypoints

WyoDoug

I could not find the other thread to ask this question on, so starting a new one. We could probably use a designated group in this forum to put these I think.

I figured out how to "share" waypoints to send my partner my location. But it depends on email access. What is best way to share my location in the On-X app without internet access if I am in a no service area? Is there a way in the app either via the phone or Garmin app to send the grid coordinates and have the app find the location based on that? We will have radios to communicate.

I believe, that capability leaves with phone service.

Here is the link to the thread that onx responds to... but you need to be in service to send waypoints. You can do it via a text or email but need cell service at the least.

Yup just need enough service for a text to go through. And then the recipient needs a data connection to load the link.

Trying to work on a signal booster for the truck BUT problem in the field is no service is a problem in the black timber and trying to find a way to send a grid via radio and locating that on the app or something along that line. Going to send that to On-X support and see what they say.

I did find a way on my own. In the search box on On-X app, I assumed that my partner would send me a grid coordinate, so I entered one someone posted here just out of curiosity: 45.5667,-113.4556 and the On-X map zoomed in to that location. You can send and receive GPS grid coordinates and search for them in the On-X app. Needs to be a valid grid coordinate though, I entered some random numbers and it konked out on those

You’ll some cell service to send data between phones, otherwise you need a satellite device.

Over radios you could just read out the coordinates and then your buddy could type them into almost any mapping app on his device. Most of them don’t need cell or internet service for the GPS to work. You may not get satellite images and topos, though, unless those are cached on the device. InReach will allow you to share coordinates almost anywhere without a cell or internet signal.

Over radios you could just read out the coordinates and then your buddy could type them into almost any mapping app on his device. Most of them don’t need cell or internet service for the GPS to work. You may not get satellite images and topos, though, unless those are cached on the device. InReach will allow you to share coordinates almost anywhere without a cell or internet signal.
Yup true, this works on the Gaia GPS app too. I escout enough that I got the images cached or I can look on my Garmin which has the chip with the maps installed. I can also enter the GPS on the Garmin

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back