On-X Chip for Garmin or On-X iPhone/subscription

N

ntodwild

Can someone enlighten me on features of an On-x subscription vs. On-x chip set for my Garmin GPS? I understand one is a physical product for the GPS and the other is a subscription. Which one would you choose and what are the pros and cons to each.

As far as navigation which one would be a better tool, to have it loaded on a phone or to have a chip set installed on a GPS?

Hopefully we have some folks with experience using both who can shed some light.

I use my phone. I was worried about battery life. I got a battery backup, keep it in an inside pocket for warmth and run in airplane mode even if I have service and it lasts at least 2 days before charging.

I used a Garmin Montana for years with multiple states from OnX. It stays home now, I only use my phone.

The only tip I can give is when using the app, put the phone in airplane mode first, then start the app. That will keep the phone from trying to use service that isn't there. I currently have 72 five mile maps downloaded for offline use on the phone, lots of tracks, waypoints, and lines; all works just fine with zero problems.

I used a Garmin Montana for years with multiple states from OnX. It stays home now, I only use my phone.

The only tip I can give is when using the app, put the phone in airplane mode first, then start the app. That will keep the phone from trying to use service that isn't there. I currently have 72 five mile maps downloaded for offline use on the phone, lots of tracks, waypoints, and lines; all works just fine with zero problems.

So when or if there is good cell service is it necessary to go to airplane mode or is it primarily a battery saving step and you are better off working off-line even with good cell coverage?

I have both the chip and the phone app. I like the detail of the phone app, but the gps will work without fail. Get the chip and the app and then all you have to do is pay the yearly fee and update them both. I set mine to renew automatically.

I used the chips and a GPS forever. Now I have the phone app and it is much better in my opinion. Much better details and easier to find points.

I use both. Sure the phone is nicer, but it is easy to replace batteries on the GPS unit, moreover it withstands the cold better. Last year my cell phone was inoperable for 2 mornings straight because it was so damn cold. GPS unit worked flawlessly however.

Phone! I have the gps and chip but haven’t pulled it out in over two years!

Web app for scouting and GPS for actually in the field. Unless I forget it. Then the phone is my backup.

I have both prefer the Garmin GPS unit with a chip, has all the whole state maps built in for areas with no cell signal, for me downloading maps to use offline on my phone is a pain and I never know when I might go to a completely different place.

So when or if there is good cell service is it necessary to go to airplane mode or is it primarily a battery saving step and you are better off working off-line even with good cell coverage?

I use wifi at home to download maps, other than that the phone is always put in airplane mode prior to the app being opened, whether there is service or not. I do that to remove any chance of the phone/app hanging because of a minor service interruption and have had zero problems. My first dedicated onX/phone combo was incapable of connecting to a cellular provider, having only wifi and it worked/still works flawlessly. A large percentage of problems posted on forums start with "when I lost service.." so I remove that option.

I have the app on my phone but am using it less and less because I have so many problems with it. It’s great when it works, but more than 1/2 the time it doesn’t work.

Back