OLD GUY FROM VANCOUVER ISLAND B.C. Canada

'Morning HANK,
I see you are up early today.....How much snow did you get this week.?
just anotherJanuary morning on ''the ROCK'',
38 Degrees and light rain.
no matter, coffee is hot and I'm still alive....beats
being back in QUEBEC!!!DView attachment 261547DAUGHTER'S OLD PLACE ON ''QUADRA ISLAND'' ACROSS FROM CAMPBELL RIVER..... SOLD IT AND BOUGHT THE PLACE WHERE THAT WALKWAY GOES DOWN,NEXT DOOR.......
'Morning HANK,
I see you are up early today.....How much snow did you get this week.?
just anotherJanuary morning on ''the ROCK'',
38 Degrees and light rain.
no matter, coffee is hot and I'm still alive....beats
being back in QUEBEC!!!DView attachment 261547DAUGHTER'S OLD PLACE ON ''QUADRA ISLAND'' ACROSS FROM CAMPBELL RIVER..... SOLD IT AND BOUGHT THE PLACE WHERE THAT WALKWAY GOES DOWN,NEXT DOOR.......
Over a foot and it's expected to snow this afternoon. 17 this morning. Sunny and windy now.
I can smell the sea and kelp in that pic. Trees to the surfline. Cool view Glenn.

I'm familiar with your turf. Met my late wife when I was working the visitor center at Olympic Park, August 6, 1987. She was working at Little Qualicum Fals Provincial Park. Three months later we were married. Our first home was a camper trailer at English Camp San Juan

I'm familiar with your turf. Met my late wife when I was working the visitor center at Olympic Park, August 6, 1987. She was working at Little Qualicum Fals Provincial Park. Three months later we were married. Our first home was a camper trailer at English Camp San Juan
Little Qualicum Falls, I used to go there before the fences were installed to keep the ''cliff divers'' away from the falls......
Cameron Lake ,headwaters for the falls,about 1/2 mile up the road.... cool spot...GlennDSCF1587.JPGbuddy with hat,from AUSTRALIA. CAMERON LAKE...Little Q.R.on right of pic.
Wife and daughter at COOMBS MARKET..(goats on the roof)LQR.DSCF0061.JPGCOOMBS goat cabin...DSCF0056.JPG

Last edited:
DAUGHTER'S OLD PLACE ON ''QUADRA ISLAND
I had family who lived on Quadra Island. As a young one, I'd meet with my Aunt and Uncle every once in a while. He was a boat builder on the island.
Amazing area!
He'd take me salmon fishing (trolling w/ buzz bombers, I believe). They had a friend who was the equivalent of a U.S. / State game warden. Most of the occasions, he'd take me to a small lake on the island surrounded by pines that hugged the water.
He'd say something to the effect, "let it hit the bottom and prepare for a strike".
Mind you, my age during my visits ranged from 6-12 or so... Some 40 years earlier.
Amazing, some very vivid memories of small, tidbit events. A favorite series of memories from those years.

Welcome to HT.

I had family who lived on Quadra Island. As a young one, I'd meet with my Aunt and Uncle every once in a while. He was a boat builder on the island.
Amazing area!
He'd take me salmon fishing (trolling w/ buzz bombers, I believe). They had a friend who was the equivalent of a U.S. / State game warden. Most of the occasions, he'd take me to a small lake on the island surrounded by pines that hugged the water.
He'd say something to the effect, "let it hit the bottom and prepare for a strike".
Mind you, my age during my visits ranged from 6-12 or so... Some 40 years earlier.
Amazing, some very vivid memories of small, tidbit events. A favorite series of memories from those years.

Welcome to HT.
WOW,was probably MORTY LAKE they had another GRIZZLY on the prowl around that lake...the MOUNTIES patrolled the area and the bear was chased off.
My daughter and son in law bought and sold the APRIL POINT MARINA......Just down the road from
APRIL POINT Lodge. Cheers GLENNDSCF5072.JPG
Quadra island ferryDSCF5125.JPG

Welcome. I've had the privilege of spending some time working and recreating on your beautiful island. I used to work for the International Boundary Commission and my first job was surveying the border monuments on the Olympic Peninsula and southern tip of Vancouver Island. As part of that I had to mount survey gear on the tip top of a couple of lighthouses. Visiting Race Rocks lighthouse was incredible. The island is a marine sanctuary and not open to the public so it was covered in Elephant seals, California Sea Lions, Stellar Sea Lions, and Harbor Seals. I posted some pics from there in this old thread if you are interested.

I've also been up to Tahsis a couple times to fish for salmon with my uncle. He had an apartment and boat up there, but just sold them at the end of this past season. He decided that 88 was getting a bit old to be going out on the ocean alone.

Welcome. I've had the privilege of spending some time working and recreating on your beautiful island. I used to work for the International Boundary Commission and my first job was surveying the border monuments on the Olympic Peninsula and southern tip of Vancouver Island. As part of that I had to mount survey gear on the tip top of a couple of lighthouses. Visiting Race Rocks lighthouse was incredible. The island is a marine sanctuary and not open to the public so it was covered in Elephant seals, California Sea Lions, Stellar Sea Lions, and Harbor Seals. I posted some pics from there in this old thread if you are interested.

I've also been up to Tahsis a couple times to fish for salmon with my uncle. He had an apartment and boat up there, but just sold them at the end of this past season. He decided that 88 was getting a bit old to be going out on the ocean alone.
Yes its quite the place.......if you HAVE to live in canada, the ROCK is the place.......right in downtown Nanaimo, black-tail (SMALL type of mule deer) black bear and cougar can be found in the city of now,about 100,000 people......right in the bay in downtown,killer whales are often seen......on the east side of the island,Campbell river /north, the grizzly have become almost common.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back