Old buck?

Oak

Expert
I thought this was just an average buck when I took the pictures, but after looking at them tonight I'm wondering if this might be an old buck. What do you think? Look at the size of his bases in the head-on shot. How wide?

Pics were from 300+ yards, so quality is poor.

Wide1.jpg

Wide2.jpg

Wide3.jpg

From the pics it looks like he is an average aged deer to me. He definitely has some mass to the bases and is pretty wide. I seem to always guess smaller but I would say close to 28" wide. He does have a roman nose but doesn't seem to have the other characteristics of a real old deer. Sway back, pot belly etc.. Hard to tell from pics though.

It would be interesting to know how old he is.

Thanks for sharing the picture. He looks like an older buck to me. I would guess ear tip to ear tip in the picture is 22"-23". That would put him at 31"-32" outside spread.

Over 100 views and only 4 opinions?:rolleyes: I'm not sure what to think about him. I'm guessing he's at least 5 years old.

Here are two that were hanging out together this morning. They'll be nice in another couple of years.

WFBuck2a.jpg

WFBuck2b.jpg

WFBuck1a.jpg

WFBuck1b.jpg

WFBuck1c.jpg

Great looking bucks...nice and healthy. Yeah, I'd agree with the measurement estimates. Usually measuring ears tip-to-tip is about 24", so he's definitely a mature buck (nice roman nose, too!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back