Old bear trap

Northwoods

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2016
Messages
837
Location
MN
While scouting this afternoon I found this old Newhouse No. 5 trap. I lugged that sucker out of the woods and after hosing it off it appears to be in pretty good shape. I know some of these traps are worth some money. Any ideas on the value?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3097.jpeg
    IMG_3097.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
While scouting this afternoon I found this old Newhouse No. 5 trap. I lugged that sucker out of the woods and after hosing it off it appears to be in pretty good shape. I know some of these traps are worth some money. Any ideas on the value?
That is an incredible find. Take another picture or two with a soda can next to it for reference. Your pictures don't do it justice.
 
We have 2. One was my Dad's the other was given to my brother by our old friend and neighbor before he passed away from cancer.
They both got a lot of use between 1950- the early 70s in our neck of the woods
Great find. I wouldn't sell. But if you do please let me know
It would be cool to know the stories behind it!
 
Very cool. Trapping a bear was always on my bucket list. Wish I would have done it while you could still. If you really want to know Trapperman forum has a lot of knowledge people on it the deal in old traps
 
Very cool. Trapping a bear was always on my bucket list. Wish I would have done it while you could still. If you really want to know Trapperman forum has a lot of knowledge people on it the deal in old traps

You can still trap bears in Maine but you have to use a foothold snare or a cage-type live trap.
 
That's an awesome find and I would keep it to display and hang it on the wall. I do like your idea of giving it to a family member of the possible trapper who left it behind. That is very honorable to do something like that. Who knows, maybe they in turn will just tell you to keep it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,177
Messages
2,252,343
Members
39,106
Latest member
wkshaw
Back
Top