OK, I'm looking for a 4-wheeler, can anyone help?

D4570

As I get older I sure think to myself I want a 4wheeler.
I have my "mud dog" But that can only haul one person and only 18 MPH, LOTS of fun but...
If I had a 4wheeler the GD could drive it behind me, pick up my broken pieces and tow the dog to the truck.
I have a trailer for one and Ramps to put either one in the truck. Also for longer treks with the boy and his wife, they have two.

SO

I like their honda rancher it fits in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed.
I'm thinking I need like a 450/ 500 cc, 4-wheel drive, and elec shift.
I'm open to most brands 'cept the Korean stuff. I need in good condition, fair tires, prefer a winch.
2007 ish to now but I can't do new price, maybe $2500 tops ish.
In Montana would be the best but ID, ND, Wy maybe.

Can anyone give me a lead?

I have a Honda Rancher and love it. I have a winch and snow plow for it. I’ve hauled out deer and elk with it. My dad bought his first Honda in 1982 and that’s all we’ve owned ever since. Never had any trouble out of any of them.

Hard to beat a Honda for pure reliability. I am a Polaris guy and have found them pretty reliable and easy to work on. I hear a lot of good things about Can Am but have no experience with them. My hunting partner/second dad is an Artic Cat guy. I don't agree with him especially if you loose the drive belt...it isn't fun to change. Old motorcycle rider buddy of my dad's always said get one of the H brands Harley or Honda because there is a dealer in every city.

I’m a big Honda fan as well. I do prefer the automatics to the electric shift. The electric shift just isn’t always really strong or positive engagement and from my experience doesn’t like to shift under power or while going downhill. I also like some of the mid sized Yamahas

That's what I have heard. Do you know of any for sale?
Check Craigslist and Facebook. You will eventually come across one.

Edit- I missed the part about the $2,500 budget. That may prove to be tough. Even a 90s model Honda would be a nice ride if it’s been well taken care of.

Last edited:
You used to get a pretty damn nice wheeler for $2500. I bought a utv for $4000. Things have really gone to chit

Prices have really gone up. I bought a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 for my survey work about six months ago and it was definitely not 2500.
I was going to buy a brand new Honda, and found out those are no longer $6500 either.

I’ve been looking for a bit and I think you will need to increase your budget a bit.

Old tired ATVs are selling for $3,000 to $3,500 around here. A decent used one around 10 years old is going to be close to $5,000. Ones that are a couple years old are about the same price as brand new ones.

I went out and bought a '21 CF Motto 500 last year. $6400 from a dealer in Nebraska. You can't touch a decent used atv in SW Montana for that price.
So far so good...but I only have 200 miles on it.

I have a 2018 cf moto. Got it new for about $5500. I’ve beat the chit out of plowing snow and checking cattle. The dealer has stood by the warranty and fixed anything that has gone bad.

I have a 2018 cf moto. Got it new for about $5500. I’ve beat the chit out of plowing snow and checking cattle. The dealer has stood by the warranty and fixed anything that has gone bad.
What type of warranty work have you done on your Moto?

The Hisun/Massimo stuff looks nice, and is tempting how you can just order them from the box stores, Amazon, etc.

YouTube is full of guys that love them at first, then pretty quickly start having all sorts of little problems. Probably not worth the headache.

I haven't heard anything bad about Cfmoto myself, other than country of origin.

I have been all over the Net looking. I know the $2500 is lowball but I'm hoping for a private person looking to just get rid of one will pop up.
I have found one or two but there 3000 miles away.
thanks for the input and let me know if you see one in a garage sale or estate sale.

honda rancher all the way. mine has flew out the back of 2 different pick up trucks, been tipped over fully submerged in a mud hole, etc, etc. and the little machine hasn't skipped a beat. most prob remember the "big Red" three wheelers honda made, i know of multiple machines that people have tried to blow up and they couldn't.
i know side by sides have a purpose but nothing beats a rancher, being able to load that up in the back of a pick up and it will take ya anywhere ya need to go.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back