ok heres the deal

dgibson

I suck at that stuff, too, Del! One tactic I like to use when I start getting angry is to stop trying to do the point-counter point thing and start making the other guy answer specific questions, and badger him until he does. They'll squirm, try to change the subject by making some offhand comment, etc., but you just keep after him by saying "that doesn't answer the question" and asking it again. Airbags HATE being put on the spot. But you have to be ready to back up your questions with facts, too.

Other than that, you might try inviting him outside with a beer bottle.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Del, I've had some experience at public speaking and we are always doing some kind of presentation around here. I have two suggestions that may help.

1. Make a list of your points on 3X5 cards and take them with you. Refer to them frequently while you're talking. Be extremely diligent about making all of the points you've written down and rehersed. If you concentrate hard enough on your points, you won't waste time getting upset. Afterall, if you get angry, you might as well just concede what ever points you're trying to make and not say anything at all.

2. If you have a problem with emotion and getting carried away, take someone with you who will be embarassed if you fly off the handle. It has to be someone you care about and whose feelings are important to you. That may add the extra control you need.

Hope these help.. If they don't you may think about finding someone with less interest in the issues but better emotional control and a more logical approach to represent you at these meetings...

cool.gif

Just remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When debating in public, I find it important to mimic the tone and mannerisms of the others (to a point). The best advice I can give is to practice. Dan's advice is good also, about having specific points outlined. That gives you a goal to accomplish.

I suck at public speaking... We have an issue here in AZ that has to do with one tourny and the times it is ran.... Alot of us want to get the date changed.
We have a game and fish fisheries meetin about every 3 months.... I showed up today and kinda lost my cool with this idiot(car salesman)....
How do I keep from getting so passoniate about something and yet get my points across...
I found my self talking like I do in here( a lesson from buzz I guess
wink.gif

Which really isnt cool with a bunch and game and fish guys that I know.... We have one guy that can speak real well in public but I need to be able to do it as well.....

Any advice?

This is against a big tourny thats sole purpose is to sellcars and trucks. They dont care about what they are doing to the fishery at all....

They did offer to buy game and fish bass to help stock the lake but thats a buy out in my opinion.
I kinda lost it when he started saying everything was rumor and they have reports that show that no dead fish were weighed in.... Now come on you cant weigh in a dead fish so why would someone do it...

BTW this tourny targets bed fishing for spawning bass during the primary spawn. If the tourny wsnt so big it would be no big deal but its freakin huge with 7 weigh-ins a day for three straight days.....

Delw

Darren.... He was doing that with me(point counterpoint) and thats kinda what set me off, but i was able to turn the tables..

Dan the 3x5 cards I will be doing with all possible senarios and questions an answers.. I was thinking about something like that last night... you just confirmed it Thanks... cause if someone would have said that I would have not used that...

as far as taking someone who gets embaressed easy, well that wont work cause I dont mind embaressing people
wink.gif

Tyler your 100% correct, now I guess I have to work on my people skills
rolleyes.gif

Delw

Del - I'll help you practice. Here's what we'll do. You call me up and invite me fishing. Tell me how great it will be, why I should go, how much fun I'll have, you'll show me all your best spots, you'll buy all the beer, etc. Try to make it sound like the most wonderful opportunity in the world. For the purpose of helping you, I will refuse. I'll come up with a whole bunch of excuses - I don't have good tackle, my wife won't let me, its wouldn't be fair to let you buy all the beer, etc. Calmly make note of my points, and methodically dispute them one by one. Don't let yourself get excited! For every denial I come up with, become more determined to make your point. To play along, I will make it hard at first. I will even be whiney. Eventually, if you follow all the advice we have given, you will make your case, and I will submit. That will give you the confidence you need to speak at the G&F meeting. I figure it's the least I can do, for a forum buddy
drool.gif

Muskrat.. ROTFLMAO

Now you want me to beg you to go fishing with me... I love it....

We will go fishing soon I am putting bunks on my boat this week... I have three new batts I have to go pick up...

I am going to be busy this week and weekend...

maybe next wednesday night at the waterdog tourny ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Just remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When debating in public, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you kill more Flys with a Fly SWATTER !!!!

Moosie- In that case I think he should go in with the AR blasting so we can get some national media coverage for the website. He could do it all decked out in hunttalk.com gear, including your gangster hat!

Delw try to be prepared, and relaxed, keep a steady tone, have an outline [rough] of what you want to say, and when it comes to bass fishing you should have all of the confidence in the world [you live it] and try to speak in public as often as you can, it will get easier for you the more you do it, after a few times it will be piece of cake.

Ask to finish what you have to say before any responses. This will insure that you make all of your points. Then you can argue the individual points. If you get caught up in debate halfway through, you'll miss saying something important.

Don't fire all of your bullets at once, either. List the things you are for or against with brief details in your first appeal. When they start with their counterpoints you will still have details you can pull out of your bag to counter them, instead of repeating what you've already said.

Oak

Thanks for the advise.... I know if it dont work I can always start a fight...
wink.gif

Muskrat..
waterdog willies is a one fish weighin per person.. it cost 7 buck or 20 bucks...
big fish in the $20 dollar option will get you 390 bucks 7 bucks will get you about 100 bucks
they pay 1 in 10 which is 100 boats 10 places...
the tourny runs every wednesday and friday night from 5:15 pm to 9pm...

I havent touched my boat do to being busy, hopefully this weekend I will have it done..

Delw

Which lake? Do you fish every Wed and Fri? I was just bustin your ass before, but if you were serious, I'd like to give it a go some night

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back