Oh my! MT to allow 2 elk next year

BuzzH

Hey Paul, hows your case for the "wolves killing all the elk" going?

Apparently the Montana Fish and Game Commission didnt listen to you....neither did the wolves.

2-elk quota for hunters urged to cut back herds
Associated Press

HELENA - There is an increasing need to boost Montana's elk harvest, and game managers say one way would be to implement a two-elk quota for some hunters, especially in western and southwestern areas.

"We need to reduce the elk population numbers and we prefer doing it during the regular season," Jeff Herbert told the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Commission Thursday.

The goal is to use a combination of over-the-counter licenses for a second elk and changes in antlerless elk permits to result in a larger kill during the five-week season.

In one scenario, a person who buys a $16 general elk tag could buy a second for another $16 and kill two elk, with restrictions.

Herbert, assistant administrator of the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks' wildlife division, said there also would be an emphasis on expanding additional either-sex elk hunting in many districts at the start of the general season.

In some cases, permits in hunting districts might be cut back and then offset with what might be called an "elk B tag," similar to the "B" tags issued for a second deer.

"The intent is to make the elk harvest go up," Herbert said.

I can't believe resident elk licenses are only $16 dollars. And I thought we were getting off far too easily down here having to pay $30...
rolleyes.gif

Oak

Oak, if it was more than that, Paul couldnt afford to hunt elk.
shhh.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-12-2003 15:39: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

BUZZ.. Why wouldn't they jsut open up more tags to NON res ? Is it that we woul;dn't cull the herds enough ? I know guys that would love to go.... Me being one of them next year !! I'm hoping for the Elusive "GREEN" tag
wink.gif

Oscar, those second elk are always cows. Are you interested in going to MT to kill a cow? Hell, last year non-res. could have killed three elk here in CO, with the second two only being $100 each. We still have too many elk....

Oak

Ithaca, we need more cows killed, and I heard that wolves only kill 6x6 or larger bulls. Thanks anyway.
wink.gif

Oak

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Are you interested in going to MT to kill a cow? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhhhh, not really... but thanx
smile.gif

I'd go to Montana to kill a cow, if the price was right...and if it didn't interfere with any of my other hunts. Colorado sounds like a hell of a deal. I'd rather shoot 2 or 3 cows than one bull any day!

WOW!!!
That means by using all the tags that my friends and family don't use, I should be able to cull around thirty elk out next year...WAAAHOOOO!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Elkchsr- Is party hunting legal in MT? If so, that could make for a fun fall with lots of packing.

Naw 1_p, it's not legal. I was going to mention that, but figured I'd let it slide.
wink.gif
I'm sure ol' Elkchser will backtrack and say he was just KIDDING about poaching.
rolleyes.gif

Oak

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back