Offroad tires

Calif. Hunter

It seems that most folks like the BF Goodrich TA tires. I have a 2002 F-350 Crew cab 4x4, and rather than "offroad" it is more like "dirt road" or "two track" that I am concerned with. If there is no road, then I walk.. :) I'd like a tire that can stand up to rocks and resists sidewall punctures, but also works on mud and cleans itself out. The truck came with Firestone SteelTex ATs that have really weak sidewalls and become slicks in the mud.

I'm leaning to the BF Goodrich, but has anyone tried these?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/...p;catName=TIRES

More specifically, these:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/...ES&man=PCTC

Or these Bridgestones:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+Revo

Cali,

I found that inflating tires to an higher pressure resulted in stiffer, straighter sidewalls. End of my puncture problem in some of the roads in the Owyhees.

It makes the ride lousy, but that is still better than the walk....

Thanks, Jose. The SteelTex ATs still suck,though... ;) I almost went off a severe hillside drop-off on a muddy road, just as I was commenting to my passenger about how lousy the tires were on mud. :eek:

The sidewall was punctured by a piece of hard old mesquite branch.

I am a BFG fan have KOs on my 05 f150 seem to be good in the mtns here in Nevada

I've had excellent results from Michelin LTX M/S radials. The sidewalls are tough and the treads work well off road, in mud or on the highway.

:cool:

Cali,
I run around in some terribly rocky country in SW idaho and have run Cooper Discoverer's for 20 years. Multiple sets and have not had 1 failure. You won't get that extended mileage that others will get ya, but always 40k+.
They are tough.
WD

The BFG KO's have held up well for me and I do stupid shiot with my Bronco. I have a new set of 32s in the back yard waiting for my 31s to wear out. MY friend has had good luck with the Goodyear MTRs to.

Hey Cali!

Long time...anyway, My 03 F-350 came stock with BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's. I've been awfully happy with them. I'm pushing 40k and they have plenty of tread left. I have been in situations in the mud and soft dirt. I have gotten stuck from time to time, but 4 low is always the life saver. I haven't been in a situation I haven't been able to get out of yet!(crossing my fingers and hoping I haven't jinxed myself)

One tire I would steer clear of. Goodyear Wranglers! I owned a jeep (heep) years ago, but everytime out those wranglers cut like butter through a hot knife! Maybe they have improved on their quality since 1988, but I don't like to be screwed twice!...not by tires anyway! Good luck on your choice and I hope they live up to your expectations!

Thanks, John. I had lots of tread left on the Firestones, but they were 5 years old and beginning to crack all the way around the tire - I was worried that I would have tread separation on the freeway. They only had 34,000 miles on them.

I went with the BFG All Terrain tires, as my friends have them and like them. I was tempted by the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's though.

Put BFG A/T on my Durango and love them. Awesome in snow, rain, ect. Also have BFG's M/T 33's on my classic Bronco and the ride nice too. Don't think I'll ever buy a different tire. Also get them siped if you can, sure helps in wet weather when your wifes borrows the truck. |oo

shedyoda.

I've had excellent results from Michelin LTX M/S radials. The sidewalls are tough and the treads work well off road, in mud or on the highway.
Ditto! I'm due for a new set as the ones that are on where there when I bought the truck and that was about 80K miles ago!

I had bfg 33in mud terrain got over 70,000 great tires just bought another set you cant beat them

I second the Wild Country RTV's. Good traction and wear and never had a failure.

Shawn

Try the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S they have good reviews, Great price and ride well. I've had a set of these (285/75/R16) tires for 3 month and have taken them off road, both on Desert (Rocks/Cactus) and Muddy Forest roads, and they've performed very well for me. They also have a great ride on the highway. Use to have Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 305/70 R16, looked great, but they did Not wear very well, and quite costly. Hope this helps and her is a link to these tire on the Tire Rack web site ; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&partnum=875R6GEOATS&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

I am gonna put the new Cooper STT's on my fullsized p/u next month. I got 60K out of my set of Discoverer's.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back