Off-season project - 7mm Rem Mag

It's a dangerous way to live in my opinion. Maybe even more so than the paper plate at 100 yds guys. Basically trying to cheat at learning your rifle the old fashioned way, and that bothers me. I'll spend my money on ammo and true my own dope any day of the week
I'm way too OCD on Reliability and Repeatability to trust anything but my own trigger time and tape measure, ha.

Last edited:
This project is off to an odd start.

Had the gun on order since the 2nd. It shows that it’s at the store but they don’t have it checked in and ready for me. Not sure what the hold up is but I’ll be patient.

Rifle sling came in. Super nice sling, but pricier than what I’d normally pay, especially when it didn’t come with swivels. But it looks to be a pretty quality product.

Trigger is also in. That’s probably been the smoothest thing so far aside from the bedding kit and the can of clear coat. I decided to keep my color scheme on the gun I had prior so I just need to wipe it clean and clear coat paint it and let it dry.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Well after some emails and a phone call, my rifle is ready for pickup tomorrow morning. Very excited to start this project.

I think my plan is to keep it stock and mount my pic rail and scope to the gun and break it in. Just to make sure the gun can shoot MOA. Would hate to bed a pic rail and stock to the gun only to find that it’s got problems. Once it’s broke in, I’ll disassemble it and start the process.

As a young teen, and a left-handed shooter, I considered the 7mag but not seriously because I couldn't afford the rifle I wanted. Now 40+ years later the 7mm Remington Magnum is back on my radar. I think I may finally scratch this itch if I can only decide just what it is I'm looking for. It must be left handed bolt gun with at least a 24" and preferably a 26" barrel. Beyond this I haven't narrowed it down yet! I'm anxious to see just how the OP brings his all together. Good luck

Ive been a Leupold fan until I tried a Ziess Conquest V4 4-16. It had a really neat reticle, I believe the illuminated Bri. But don't quote me. Put it on my stainless Browning BLR in 7mm Rem Mag. That IS a great caliber.

As a young teen, and a left-handed shooter, I considered the 7mag but not seriously because I couldn't afford the rifle I wanted. Now 40+ years later the 7mm Remington Magnum is back on my radar. I think I may finally scratch this itch if I can only decide just what it is I'm looking for. It must be left handed bolt gun with at least a 24" and preferably a 26" barrel. Beyond this I haven't narrowed it down yet! I'm anxious to see just how the OP brings his all together. Good luck
Buckle up pilgrim, it’ll be a bumpy ride.

Thanks for commenting, hope you find a rifle for you. In this century, you’re not too short on LH options.

Ive been a Leupold fan until I tried a Ziess Conquest V4 4-16. It had a really neat reticle, I believe the illuminated Bri. But don't quote me. Put it on my stainless Browning BLR in 7mm Rem Mag. That IS a great caliber.
I purposely chose my scope because of the reticle. Vortex’s dead hold BDC is the simplest one I could find besides Leupold duplex and Leica duplex, and I wish Vortex still had their duplex. I hate how busy reticles can be. You don’t know wtf you’re staring at sometimes.

I love my 7 rem mags I have a REM 700 and a weatherby vanguard with leupold scopes and Talley rings. I don’t think I ll be moving away from that combo. It is just a solid performing rifle.

Last edited:
I have to find a new thread title that isn’t “Off-Season of Stupid: Rifle Build” to avoid copywriter infringement. Cuz it’s getting stupid fast….

I decided to start dry fitting the pieces together to make sure everything works as it should. I dry fire the OE gun and all works okay. I slap on the stock and it works fine. Sweet, so far so good.

Now I get to the trigger. I remove the stock and slap the trigger on. No problem. I dry fire with the stock out, super crisp and no creep. Exactly what I want. I slap the stock on, trigger is extremely hard to pull. I try the OE stock, same thing. I remove the trigger guard and place the barrel in the stock, pulls fine. I loosen the back screw and it fires fine. I pull the assembly apart and find that the safety lever is rubbing on the trigger guard and causing the trigger to sit @#)(#-eyed in the stock. I’ll have to file the trigger guard to get the clearance I need…

Good news, at least the sling has swivels now!

IMG_0703.jpegIMG_0705.jpegIMG_0706.jpegIMG_0707.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a buddy that's pushing the 90 AH out of a 25-06 at 3700 with no pressure. Now that's a speedy combo...
That's what I'm getting with mine too. H4350. Had it nearly 3800 fps when the pressure signs started so I backed it down to save my brass. I just picked up a .257 Weatherby and my goal is to get 4000 with the 90AH. I'm not worried about barrel life- it's all part of the fun.

That's what I'm getting with mine too. H4350. Had it nearly 3800 fps when the pressure signs started so I backed it down to save my brass. I just picked up a .257 Weatherby and my goal is to get 4000 with the 90AH. I'm not worried about barrel life- it's all part of the fun.
He’s getting his speed with RL 26. Good luck with the WBY

Clean-up wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Everything fits nicely and came together well. Barrel is well floated. I decided to scope it this afternoon and bore sight it, went together well.

A few things that I ran across:

- I bragged too soon about my bedding job. The bottom metal must have come loose during the seating process so there’s some air pockets on the rear screw. Thinking about how/ if I should fix it.
- The screw hole in the stock for the recoil pad is bored out. I’ll have to think of a way to seat it in there, probably a piece of wood or something.
- The gun weighs 8lbs 10 oz with a 50mm bell on it, with missing sling studs, floor plate, etc. I noticed that the gun is very front heavy. Not the best feel but I don’t think there’s any fixing that.
- I’m going to bed the pic rail and lap the rings. Ran out of black dye.
- Stuck on the color of the stock. I don’t know what I want to do with that part. I like the bronze barrel but I dont know what goes well with it beside the sponge earth colors and raw carbon. Suggestions would be nice.

Far from over but making some positive progress. Here’s a rough copy.

IMG_0711.jpeg

Good luck finding a left handed bolt gun these days. Almost impossible to find one on gun broker. I found a Ruger M77 Hawkey in .25-06 about 3 months ago and snapped it up. Paid a crazy $1500, I believe, for that gun. I also bought two BAR's and two BLR's. When you're left handed, or better yet, left eye dominant, ya gotta be flexible. I guess we're a rare breed!!

Good luck finding a left handed bolt gun these days. Almost impossible to find one on gun broker. I found a Ruger M77 Hawkey in .25-06 about 3 months ago and snapped it up. Paid a crazy $1500, I believe, for that gun. I also bought two BAR's and two BLR's. When you're left handed, or better yet, left eye dominant, ya gotta be flexible. I guess we're a rare breed!!
There’s some Mark V’s that are left-handed. Just be prepared to shell out a fat check and wait 180 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back