Caribou Gear Tarp

Off-season project - 7mm Rem Mag

I bet they will work swell in your new 7 Mag bud! May I suggest, you find a store that has many boxes of them with the same Lot#. Try a box and if they do well, go back and buy at least five boxes, more if you can afford them! :)

I’ll vote on the terminal ascents if your rifle likes them. They don’t group quite as well as Barnes in the rifles I’ve tried them in but I have had great performance on animals with them. Nothing I’ve hit them with has made it out of sight, no recovered bullets either

Haven’t given the bullet selection much thought yet. I typically just shoot whatever the gun likes. As a rule of thumb, I try to shoot the heaviest bullet I can while still maintaining good velocity down range. I don’t hand load but have thought about it, just don’t have the equipment, skill or confidence to try yet.

I have some terminal ascends that I purchased some time ago that I will start with. If the gun isn’t happy, I’ll probably bump up to Nosler e-tip since any gun I’ve ever own always seemed to like anything Nosler made.
I started off with the Lee Loader for 7mm Rem Mag.
Till my wife said enough was enough with me whacking on it with a hammer on the dining room table. :rolleyes:

Get an actual reloading manual & read it the whole way through. Tons of useful information!!

Lots of powder & bullet manufacturers have load data online.

I shoot everything from 100gr Sierra HP Varmint through 175gr Nosler ABLR in mine.

I started off with the Lee Loader for 7mm Rem Mag.
Till my wife said enough was enough with me whacking on it with a hammer on the dining room table. :rolleyes:

Get an actual reloading manual & read it the whole way through. Tons of useful information!!

Lots of powder & bullet manufacturers have load data online.

I shoot everything from 100gr Sierra HP Varmint through 175gr Nosler ABLR in mine.
I have a feeling this thread will get me into reloading.

You already jumped into the rifle building rabbit hole.
May as well jump into the reloading hole as well.

It's not as painful if you look at the investment of tooling as just that. An investment.
Yeah not worried about the cost so much. I just hear a lot of horror stories about bad rounds blowing up in peoples faces. I lack the confidence.

What’s stupid is I use a muzzleloader and never had an issue. 🤷

Yeah not worried about the cost so much. I just hear a lot of horror stories about bad rounds blowing up in peoples faces. I lack the confidence.

What’s stupid is I use a muzzleloader and never had an issue. 🤷
You will be fine. When I started handloading my RUM, there wasn't any data published at the time. Details and consistency are key. mtmuley

I started reloading with my 7mmRM just a couple years ago. I'll admit, that first shot, I stood waaaaayyyy back and just reached forward to pull the trigger. Take your time, make notes of what you've done with each stage, work in small batches, and rewatch youtube videos as many times as you need. Now it's something I really enjoy doing and my kids have even started getting involved. Now loading for 223, 300aac, 7RM, '06, 9mm, and 45.

I bought a basic RCBS reloading kit and added a few tools along the way.

I started with 160gr Accubonds and 175gr Partitions. Both had great accuracy with handloading and nearly identical velocities. I was using RL22 (62.0gr for 160s and 62.8gr for 175s). After losing a lot of meat due to lead fragments from the Partition on a WT buck, I switched to 150gr Barnes TTSX @ 3100fps and great accuracy. Great performance this year with the TTSX on multiple deer.

Wish I had started reloading a long time ago. For years I thought my '06 was just a 2-3MOA gun. Now I realize how shitty that ammo I fed it was.

You already jumped into the rifle building rabbit hole.
May as well jump into the reloading hole as well.

It's not as painful if you look at the investment of tooling as just that. An investment.
I didn't see it mentioned. What twist is this barrel?

A thread like this is too tempting for us Hammer groupies.

Hammers are magical in the 7mm RM. My 9 1/2 twist 26" gives me 3550 fps without breaking a sweat with the 131 HH. I stopped at the first accurate node and didn't even push the pressure. 1/2 MOA all day if I keep it clean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back