Caribou Gear

Odd regulations.... Colorado

npaden

Okay, I was just reading through the Colorado regulations during lunch getting ready to apply for my mountain goat hunt and saw this blurb.

It's against the law to:
20. Use the Internet or other computer-assisted remote technology while hunting or fishing. Hunters and anglers must be physically present in the immediate vicinity while hunting and fishing.

Is that saying that if you had cell phone coverage you couldn't post live updates on your hunt on a messgae board? What about using an iphone for a ballistics calculator? Or is this just saying you can't use some type of remote access mechanism to actually pull the trigger on a game animal when you aren't physically there? Or all of the above?

Another one that confused me.
21. For two or more people to use electronic equipment on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel while violating any wildlife law or regulation.

So you can use two way radios to communicate as long as you aren't in the process of violating a wildlife law or regulation? Or is using two way radios a violation like it is in Montana?

Those were the only two that had me completely confused.

Another one that confused me.
21. For two or more people to use electronic equipment on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel while violating any wildlife law or regulation.

So you can use two way radios to communicate as long as you aren't in the process of violating a wildlife law or regulation? Or is using two way radios a violation like it is in Montana?

Those were the only two that had me completely confused.

You can use radios legally in Montana...just not to assist in the hunting of an animal or to avoid a check station.

In my opinion the CO law is saying the same thing.

npaden; great questions - when I called DOW about this awhile back, they said it was more aimed at the type of scenario where someone could set up cameras with live feeds of video and/or photos and if a hunter was monitoring, they would have a significant edge over someone without that "instant feedback" mechanism.

Remember when some geniuses in Texas came up with computer hunting a couple of years ago? You could actually sit at your computer in Colorado and aim and shoot a gun in Texas, and kill exotic critters. The first law you quoted makes that illegal in Colorado.

You have it correct on the second law. It is not illegal for hunters to use radios, but it is an additional violation if they use them while breaking a law.

Back