October rifle or archery during the rut?

IdahoPotato

I had my first Idaho general season rifle hunt last year and it turned into a meat hunt pretty fast. It was October rifle and bucks were just not out. In 5 days of glassing I turned up two bucks. I went home with a 2 point on the last day.

This year I have a bow and noticed some OTC options to hunt the rut. I was out during the rut last year as well but with no tag in my pocket and found myself swimming in bucks. Given the choice, would you go for archery during the rut as a novice archery hunter, or work on finding a better area for October rifle?

For me i like to hunt muleys 2 ways: september while up way high and still in or just lost velvet or late in snow while they are in rut. The later tags are harder to get typically becuase they are high sucess. In between hunts can be tough, deer hide in thick timber, get pressed by elk hunters and just dont like to be in open. Its all personal preferance and where you hunt...good luck

I would prefer the mulie rut with a rifle, mainly because I like to fill tags. The elk rut with archery is enough of a challenge.

I would prefer the mulie rut with a rifle, mainly because I like to fill tags. The elk rut with archery is enough of a challenge.

The SE Montana rifle hunt during the rut is on my list of things to do in the future...

It depends on whether you care if the meat is edible or not. The meat from a rutty mule deer buck whether it's from a big old buck or a young 2 point is VERY nasty.

I rifle hunt muleys in mid September and they aren't much better eating then!

What are you guys talking about? Take care of the meat and it tastes fine. Don't go rubbing their scent glands all over your knife and hands then go cutting it up.

What are you guys talking about? Take care of the meat and it tastes fine. Don't go rubbing their scent glands all over your knife and hands then go cutting it up.

I've never heard this either? I grew up eating nothing but rutting white tails. Step 1 is cut the glands off then everything is great.

OTC archery Idaho deer hunts in the rut are lots of fun because there are tons of deer. Especially in open country, it's very hard to get in bow range of a buck and all his does in November. Lots of blown stalks. There's a reason why there's higher success rates for October rifle than November archery. Mostly it's just personal preference based on tactics, weather, weapon, etc.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back