Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

October has been a good month!

fishing4sanity

The farm has been a rather brutal task master this year, but earlier this month I made it out for a day of salmon fishing on the Columbia River and caught a couple of fish. I decided this outdoor recreation thing is quite enjoyable. Next, I had this paper tag thing that was making me want to take a trip to the desert. Even though we are in beet harvest, I knew my sons would be fine with me gone (most likely better off without me in their way). So, I drove down the road and saw some great fall colors. I drove well into the dark out to the desert where I figured I could enjoy some peace and solitude.
IMG-5330-1.jpg
IMG-5322-1.jpg
I was enjoying the scenery and the lack of cell phone service, when I saw something in the distance that made me decide to take my rifle for a walk. After awhile I decided the rifle would be lighter if I shot it and got rid of some paper too.
IMG-5468-1.jpg
IMG-5459-1.jpg
Even though I had lightened the load a little bit, I soon found myself getting tired. So I took a break, enjoying this perfect rock chair and contemplating life and what I had just got myself into alone out there in the desert. I hate selfies, but under the situation I decide it was appropriate.
IMG-5482-1.jpg
IMG-5484-1.jpg

Last edited:
From the shadows it looks line that could be a good bull. Good story.

Pray for the Beet farmers in my part of the county. First so hot you could not stockpile beet with out the danger of spoiling and now fields so wet you can not get into them and below zero temperature's this weekend. I am glad I am not a beet farmer.

I'm still physically beat from the packout, but it's a good pain if that makes sense. I spotted the group of elk about a mile away. Through the spotter I could tell there was one mature bull that was either broken or funky on one side. I planned out a stalk and dropped back getting the terrain and wind in my favor. The next time I saw them was at just over 600 yards, but could only find cows & calves at this point. My next terrain goal put me in the mid 300's from the group and I now saw a spike and the raghorn that were in the group, but still not the bull. After a belly crawl up to the last small rise between me and the elk I could now see the bull at 214 yards. He was a busted up 7x7. For a second I thought, do I leave him because he's broken up? In a split second sanity returned, no way I was passing on this opportunity! I was proud of the long stalk I had just made, I realized I had a great old warrior right in front me and the broken antlers immediately became 'character.' I shifted to the side slightly to get a better opening and shot. As I was coming up out of the small depression between me and the bull I could see his good antler sticking into the sky and felt very good about my decision.
IMG-5355-1.jpg
IMG-5357-1.jpg
IMG-5366-1.jpg
It was a very special moment, last year I missed all of every season due to a back and leg problem. I was a bit worried about the task ahead that I knew I had to do on my own, but at that moment everything in the world was good. I've decided I'm the slowest elk-breaker-downer in the world, but I got two loads out before dark and got a beautiful sunset going in for the second trip.
IMG-5371-1.jpg
IMG-5472-1.jpg
IMG-5479-1.jpgIMG-5408-1.jpg

Last edited:
That night I experienced the worst leg cramps of my life. You just can't go from an old broken down grandpa to a Hunt Talk level hunter all at once. I don't want to be too big of a drama llama, but when it was done and I came out with the head, I was shot. I just laid on my back looking up at the clouds and smiling at the pack that had just completely exhausted me. During the first two trips packing my elk out I was thinking I can't ever do another solo hunt, especially for elk, now I'm hoping for one more.
IMG-5486-1.jpg
IMG-5489-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back