Octagon barrel bolt action build

All the wedding bands that I know of, are machined as such. But there is no reason that they could not be sweated on. Just seems like more work. Are you familiar with Hartford Collars at the breech face, or Rigby flats? That is another area where creativity can be employed. You have a pretty steep, but fairly traditional tulip at your breech face, but you could create something of your own if you wanted. Well, maybe next time anyway.
I wanted a softer tulip with a 1" radius at the breech but couldn't because of how the barrel was contoured prior. I'll have to look up the Hartford collars and Rigby flats. I'd like to build another rifle similar to this with some nice walnut. Might as well church it up a bit.

Great build so far! Can’t wait to see it finished. Are you coating it? If so what color? What bullets do you plan on shooting?

I will coat it. I'm not sure what color he wants yet. I think he said he's going to shoot 215gr partitions?

Could you have just cut the ports into the flats of the barrel, like EDM porting, such as Magna-Porting? Looks good, waiting for the end result.
There are ways to do it, a thread on brake is the best route, and the brake can be cut octagonal and blended seamless. You can also counterbore the muzzle and then port it. If porting into the rifling, it needs to be about 1-1.5" back from the muzzle or it can mess with accuracy.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. What bottom metal? I’m a big fan of Hawkins bottom metal lately.

Looks great! What bottom metal did he end up using? Also did you do the work on the bolt shroud? If so what’s the hole for?

Looks great! What bottom metal did he end up using? Also did you do the work on the bolt shroud? If so what’s the hole for?
Thank you. He got an Oberndorf bottom metal from Stocky's. It took some minor fitting, but I think it was the stock's fault.
I didn't do the shroud, but the hole is for a set screw with a plastic tip. There's one on each side. It's supposed to help with trigger feel? I haven't messed with it yet.

Thank you. He got an Oberndorf bottom metal from Stocky's. It took some minor fitting, but I think it was the stock's fault.
I didn't do the shroud, but the hole is for a set screw with a plastic tip. There's one on each side. It's supposed to help with trigger feel? I haven't messed with it yet.
Interesting on the shroud. Who makes it?
What scope mount for this rifle?

Beautiful work as always, P_ham!

I'm going to have to get with you on sending some barrel blanks & reamers to you. ;)

I have some wildcats that need done. Mostly as just because i want them, but some proof of concept work also.

7mm WSSM
And a 25 caliber done on a shortened 284Win case are first in mind. :D

Interesting on the shroud. Who makes it?
What scope mount for this rifle?
Brian Crawford Engineering
It's getting a pic rail and leupold rings. 3-9x40 firedot. He wanted backcountry 1 piece rings but the scope tube is too short.

Beautiful work as always, P_ham!

I'm going to have to get with you on sending some barrel blanks & reamers to you. ;)

I have some wildcats that need done. Mostly as just because i want them, but some proof of concept work also.

7mm WSSM
And a 25 caliber done on a shortened 284Win case are first in mind. :D
I'm ready when you are!

Brian Crawford Engineering
It's getting a pic rail and leupold rings. 3-9x40 firedot. He wanted backcountry 1 piece rings but the scope tube is too short.

I'm ready when you are!
Thanks. Have you used one before? Tested trigger weight before and after adjusting it?

Thanks. Have you used one before? Tested trigger weight before and after adjusting it?
Basix trigger- 2.25lb as set from factory
Adjusted bolt shroud set screws to where the play was taken out but would still cycle- 2lb.
Trigger was already pretty crisp as expected, it might have a more drastic effect on a factory trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back