NZ Dream

Glad to hear you had a great trip and had the chance to have a look around as well as hunt.

That stag is crazy! And the buck is massive. Definitely nothing like those on public land.
You have an incredible country and the people are even better. Hoping to do some free range hunting in the future. Those mountains are spectacular.

You have an incredible country and the people are even better. Hoping to do some free range hunting in the future. Those mountains are spectacular.
If you do make it back there is plenty of free range options. Happy to help if you have questions.

Tonight I’m off to hunt back country stags in the South Island for a week.

Great write up and pictures. My GF and I hunted with Gary in 2014. He had a great lodge and staff. I also liked his policy of different class of stags in different properties so you can shoot any stag on each property and not having to worry if the stag that you shoot is in your price range. Did you shoot your stag in the property adjacent to the lodge? You devinately shot a wall hanger!

New Zealand has some very spectacular scenery. On our trip, we stayed at Gary's lodge and I hunted the first week, then we rented a car and spent the next two weeks driving on the wrong side of the road and toured all around the South Island. Because of New Zealand's strict gun laws, Gary said I could leave my rifle in his gun safe and I could pick it up on our way to the airport when we left.

It turned out that we were able to stay at his lodge our last night (for free), his staff washed our two week accumulation of cloths and we had dinner and visited with the group of hunters that were currently staying there.

Our trip to New Zealand was definately one of the best trips that I have ever gone on!

Great write up and pictures. My GF and I hunted with Gary in 2014. He had a great lodge and staff. I also liked his policy of different class of stags in different properties so you can shoot any stag on each property and not having to worry if the stag that you shoot is in your price range. Did you shoot your stag in the property adjacent to the lodge? You devinately shot a wall hanger!

New Zealand has some very spectacular scenery. On our trip, we stayed at Gary's lodge and I hunted the first week, then we rented a car and spent the next two weeks driving on the wrong side of the road and toured all around the South Island. Because of New Zealand's strict gun laws, Gary said I could leave my rifle in his gun safe and I could pick it up on our way to the airport when we left.

It turned out that we were able to stay at his lodge our last night (for free), his staff washed our two week accumulation of cloths and we had dinner and visited with the group of hunters that were currently staying there.

Our trip to New Zealand was definately one of the best trips that I have ever gone on!
No, we were in the mountains northwest of the lodge; maybe an hour away. We did take the ladies to the property adjacent and they loved it.

If you do make it back there is plenty of free range options. Happy to help if you have questions.

Tonight I’m off to hunt back country stags in the South Island for a week.
Hope your ferry runs for you. Been stuck in picton for two days.

After seeing the beautiful country it was time for some hunting. I have always loved the way red stags crown at the top of their antlers. They have always seemed so regal to me, although I may need to attribute that to my wife’s love of Victorian English movies. Honestly, seeing some red stags is the only way I get through those movies. The hunting area was incredible and the kiwi’s are so incredibly nice and accommodating. Seriously. They are much more present in the moment than many in the states and they appreciate the simple things.
I went a little over 15 years ago and stayed for 3 months. I am glad to see this hasn't changed. I went for fishing, almost didn't come home. My travel mate at the time stayed and still lives there.

After 15 years I still recognize most of the pictures you posted.

Hope your ferry runs for you. Been stuck in picton for two days.
Yikes! I didn’t realize how often that happens until we were running to make our ferry just in time. Hope the weather improves enough soon to make it home.

Back