NV Units 72-74

BearLV

Is the Jarbrige Wilderness Area and 72 the way to go vs the other units?
I just got lucky and awarded Late Rifle 72-74 bull tag as an alternate.

Last edited:
Are you in good shape? Are you looking for any elk or only a big bull? Have you ever been in any of the units? Your question is impossible to answer without More info.

first time elk hunt, in great shape and a big bull would be nice but if time comes down id like to fill a freezer. im willing to do whatever it takes.

What’s your hunt dates? I’ve been in the wilderness in October and elk were still up high. Hopefully, your hunt is later and snow drives them down. Fine part of the world.

Yes, within the wilderness and on the ridges around the wilderness is where the majority of the bulls will be. Hunted that area four years ago with a friend who had the tag. Be ready to hump it away from roads.

Yes, within the wilderness and on the ridges around the wilderness is where the majority of the bulls will be. Hunted that area four years ago with a friend who had the tag. Be ready to hump it away from roads.
^^This^^
Also be aware those canyons are very vertical.
I pointed out 2 6pt bulls to a pair of elk hunters a few years ago. When they looked at the country they would have to go up and down they said there was no way they could ever get an elk out of there.

^^This^^
Also be aware those canyons are very vertical.
I pointed out 2 6pt bulls to a pair of elk hunters a few years ago. When they looked at the country they would have to go up and down they said there was no way they could ever get an elk out of there.

We were on a doe hunt up there last year and I told group after group of which areas to look in...they didn't kill elk. Received a text with a picture of a dead bull a week later from a friend who buddy shot a bull in the wilderness. Go figure.

We just got back from a week in Jarbidge on Saturday. 72 has the most elk. As mentioned above they will be high and in the wilderness area unless there is good snow. There are not many roads that get you up in there so be prepared to walk. Scouting is a must and have some back up plans in case weather sets on. Gr8bawana’s ”very vertical” comment is an understatement. LOL. It is amazing country and you will have a great hunt. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back