Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NV Pronghorn

sagebrush

I always like to brag on Mrs Sagebrush, so here is a pic of her pronghorn from this year in NV. She is an excellent shot and has a 453 yard kill to her credit without the aid of an elevation turret. This pronghorn was a chip shot at 257 yards. We saw a couple bigger while scouting, but they were no longer hanging around when opening day arrived. She is very happy with this guy and took him on opening day so we could relocate our camp over 400 miles to my unit the following day.

Attachments

• 031 small.jpg
    031 small.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 329
After three days of hunting from dawn until dusk, this was the better of only two bucks we were able to glass up in my unit. We stalked him the first day from a mile out and got within 400 yards. I glassed him for about 15 minutes and passed. The third day, I decided to kill him in the last two hours of daylight. Again, we stalked within 400 yards and before my wife could get a range on him, the wind shifted and blew him and his does out of the area. The next morning, we spotted him 2.17 miles from our glassing spot. We stalked in and had him at 350 yards at one point but there was no shot opportunity. I shifted around and had his does at 380 yards. I had to wait 10 minutes for him to feed into my shooting lane. It was pretty cool to see him drop through my scope and then hear the whack of the Hornady SST.

Attachments

• 063 small.jpg
    063 small.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 315
Nice bucks. I'm going to hunt the Silver State for pronghorn one of these years (I hope:eek: ).

Congrats on the long distance double...

Very nice that the two of you were able to both draw in the same year. Curious why not in the same unit? Pref. Points difference? Difference in opinions on trophy quality? Inquiring minds want to know...

2rocky

She drew our first choice and I drew our second choice. We always apply individually in every state unless we know for a fact we can draw as a party, which is basically only CA and CO of the states we apply. Doubles our chances that we will actually have a place to hunt each year. Most times one of us will draw and rarely both. It kills our chances of drawing in a unit where very few non-resident tags are issued if we apply as a party. In 2006, we both had mule deer tags in NV and again in different units. I tagged out on the second day and we moved to her unit, about 300 miles. We spent 6 more days hunting and never saw another hunter. She passed on bucks every day looking for Mr. Big. That was one of the best mule deer hunts I have ever experienced. Here's a picture of her on that hunt, one of my favorites.

Attachments

• Bonny in the Hell Hole.jpg
    Bonny in the Hell Hole.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 191

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back