PEAX Equipment

NV Muley

PackMule21

Greetings & Cheers everyone,

I am admittedly a pretty green hunter. Last year was my first year in the mountains and got a Cow Elk! I am a NV resident and active duty who finally got station back in the state. I was blessed enough to be one of the 450 to draw the early Mule Deer Buck in the 111-113 area. I have yet to put boots on ground out there as I live in the Vegas area. I do plan on a few scouting trips though. I talked to a few folks and everyone says hunt off Success Loop, but that seems like it could get rather busy. From my map work, I am leaning towards The Kalamazoo area or down around Cave Lake area. I know there is alot of wilderness area which is tough going. I am in good shape, but may be hunting it solo. A few questions for those that know the area....should I set up a trailer as a base camp and go from there, or do more of a spike camp? The season is Oct 5-20 (full moon Oct 12th), the temps will still be a little warm and it will be pre-rut, will I even see any of the big guys walking around? Any other tips or things to consider. Like I said this is my first deer hunt. Thanks!

I’ve looked into Unit 111 in particular a fair bit but haven’t hunted it (haven’t drawn the tag). If it were me I’d be backpacking up into the High Schells Wilderness. High elevation, away from road, and likely, away from those other 449 tag holders. A solo backpack hunt may be a tall order for your first mule deer though. Whatever you do, get up high and sit behind glass (ideally on a tripod) for as long as you can stand it. Good luck on your hunt!

I'd make sure you have the right equipment and know how to quarter the animal. Also, make damn sure people know where to find you if your not back by a certain day.

What branch?

Good luck! I hope you fill the freezer.

Congrats on the tag. Personally I would stay away from the Success Loop. It gets pounded hard, first by the archers then the smokepole hunters. There are some really nice bucks to be had in 111 but you must get away from the roads. The east side of the range doesn't get hit quite as hard and there is some very remote and rugged country there. If you really want to get away from people the Blue Mass area near the UT border is very remote and we have seen some nice buck there.

Thanks Boomer,

Yes I have a solid pack and other gear, and have quartered an Elk last season, but I am confident i know what to do. I am not sure about how to combat the flies and bees though. I didn't encounter either last year with the colder temps. I do have the SpotX which works great, but thats a great point you make. I am Air Force.

Thanks Boomer,

Yes I have a solid pack and other gear, and have quartered an Elk last season, but I am confident i know what to do. I am not sure about how to combat the flies and bees though. I didn't encounter either last year with the colder temps. I do have the SpotX which works great, but thats a great point you make. I am Air Force.
What's your AFSC?

If it was me I would haul my trailer up there as its only about 5 hours away. You can always spike out if you find an area you like but I think when you get out there you will find there are so many valleys and hills to hide hunters and deer I don't think you will have a problem getting away from the crowd. If you were elk hunting I would invite myself along so I could hunt my honey hole again :). If its raining the roads can be impassible so don't haul your trailer up to the top if a chance of rain. You can really hunt a half a mile off the roads and rarely see another hunter or at least that was my experience the few times I hunted and scouted that area. Been meaning to get back up there to see them elk. Good Luck and thank you for your service.

Psycho,

Thanks for the tips brother! I am heading out in a few weeks for the first time just to put boots on the ground. Hey bud, I actually do have a Cow Elk tag (early) for the 111-112 area that is right before this hunt! I am hoping to nail down my deer area while I am on the grounds for the Elk hunt. If your free, and really want to get out, shoot me a message.

If it was me I would haul my trailer up there as its only about 5 hours away. You can always spike out if you find an area you like but I think when you get out there you will find there are so many valleys and hills to hide hunters and deer I don't think you will have a problem getting away from the crowd. If you were elk hunting I would invite myself along so I could hunt my honey hole again :). If its raining the roads can be impassible so don't haul your trailer up to the top if a chance of rain. You can really hunt a half a mile off the roads and rarely see another hunter or at least that was my experience the few times I hunted and scouted that area. Been meaning to get back up there to see them elk. Good Luck and thank you for your service.
sent you a message

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back