NV Draw Question

wtrfwlhunter

Alright, I thought I Knew the NV draw system in and out. Turns out I don’t and have a question.

So, my buddy puts in first choice for 101-109 archery. No draw. Yet, there’s tags left over in the second draw for the same tag. (He also put in his app for the second draw) Can someone explain to me how this scenario works out to where he doesn’t draw the first time?

Last edited:
I don't know much about NV draws, so this might come out of left field but are you sure your buddy actually put in? I have had friends say they put in to only not actually go through with it. I've actually stopped hunting with certain individuals for this exact reason. All talk and no show.

Alright, I thought I Knew the NV draw system in and out. Turns out I don’t and have a question.

So, my buddy puts in first choice for 101-109 archery. No draw. Yet, there’s tags left over in the second draw for the same tag. (He also put in his app for the second draw) Can someone explain to me how this scenario works out to where he doesn’t draw the first time?

Is he a non-resident? Many of those leftovers come from the resident pool, then tossed to the 2nd draw if residents don't take them. In the 2nd draw, it is open for both residents and NRs.

Is he a non-resident? Many of those leftovers come from the resident pool, then tossed to the 2nd draw if residents don't take them. In the 2nd draw, it is open for both residents and NRs.

That would be my bet also.

This is actually an interesting question. I was looking at it myself recently because I drew this tag last year as a non-resident in the main draw, applied unsuccessfully this year in the main draw, and am currently awaiting second draw results. Clearly the non-resident pool has demand that far exceeds the 50 tags allotted. Since residents and non-residents are treated the same in the second draw, it would stand to reason that the extra 185 tags offered (this year) were left unclaimed by residents. According to the data at page six of the below link, though, 495 of the 500 resident tags allotted (229 + 67+ 47 + 62 + 90 = 495) were drawn in the main draw last year from 1169 unique applicants. I don't know how NDOW could know that it has 185 tags to work with before the second draw numbers are put out, but assume that they are just making a projection from historical numbers of returned tags. In any event, I may be missing something and interested if anyone else has more insight.

Or it might be that I'm misreading the way the data is put together since GoHunt shows this as 100% draw for residents. Only 229 of the 495 "Successful" resident applicants had this tag as their first choice, so maybe the data include those who listed this tag as one of their choices 2-5 and drew a different tag with one of their higher choices.

This is actually an interesting question. I was looking at it myself recently because I drew this tag last year as a non-resident in the main draw, applied unsuccessfully this year in the main draw, and am currently awaiting second draw results. Clearly the non-resident pool has demand that far exceeds the 50 tags allotted. Since residents and non-residents are treated the same in the second draw, it would stand to reason that the extra 185 tags offered (this year) were left unclaimed by residents. According to the data at page six of the below link, though, 495 of the 500 resident tags allotted (229 + 67+ 47 + 62 + 90 = 495) were drawn in the main draw last year from 1169 unique applicants. I don't know how NDOW could know that it has 185 tags to work with before the second draw numbers are put out, but assume that they are just making a projection from historical numbers of returned tags. In any event, I may be missing something and interested if anyone else has more insight.

The unique applicants means that many people at least had it on their application.

It does not consider someone drawing a tag for another area on a previous choice, however, it still shows someone put that area as the 2nd or third or fourth or fifth choice.

The leftover tags are just that. The draws get done, and those are the tags left over. Then this year they put in the auto return, which allowed people to return the tag and it either went to someone who had that choice as their first choice, or went into the leftover pool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back